CAN (children with additional needs) Network and CAN Card
The CAN Information Network is Wokingham Borough Council’s information and support service for children, young people and young adults with a special educational need and/or a disability (SEND), up to age 25, and their family who live in the Wokingham Borough.
Anyone can join the CAN Information Network to receive regular news and information that may be of interest to families and practitioners living and working with children, young people and young adults with SEND.
If you are a parent or carer of a child, young person or young adult aged 0-25 years, with a diagnosed disability, you also have the option to join the Wokingham Borough Council Children with Disabilities Register and apply for a CAN card. The CAN card is recognised by many local leisure attractions and may enable some concessions.
Children with Disabilities Register
The Children Act 1989 required all local authorities to establish a register of children with a disability in their area - this is a statutory responsibility. This information will then be used to assist service planning to meet the needs of children with disabilities and their families.
Based on the information completed on the application form, the CAN Information Network will maintain the statutory register for the Wokingham Borough, which is used to help shape service provision. Please be aware that completion of this form does not mean that your child/young person or family will automatically receive a service from any of the statutory or voluntary agencies. Please contact the children with disabilities services for more information.)
CAN Card Information
Information about the CAN Card for child/young person/young adult with a diagnosed disability.
- CAN cards are renewed every 3 years. New and expired cards are issued free. However, there may be a small charge for the re-issue of a card due to it being lost or stolen.
- You will need to enclose a head and shoulders photo of the child or young person applying (Jpeg file if emailing photo), and also documentation to evidence the diagnosed disability.
- We aim to complete the CAN card within 10 working days of receipt of application, photo and documentary evidence.
Join the CAN Information Network contact list
Is for anyone interested in receiving regular news and information relevant to children/young people/young adults with SEND
- By signing up to our contact list you will receive regular news emails of what is happening locally, i.e. events, activities, training and consultations that may be of interest to you.
- The CAN Information Network may send you from time to time, information or requests for consultation from a third party if it is deemed relevant.
You can unsubscribe at any time by emailing us and asking to be removed from the CAN Information Network contact list.
To become a member please complete our:
- Email your application form to CAN.Network@Wokingham.gov.uk
Please contact the CAN Information Network Co-ordinator if there is any change to your personal information.
- Wokingham Borough's SEND Local Offer
- Scan to visit this website
- Contact Position
- CAN Network Co-ordinator - works on a part-time basis
- Please email in the first instance (emails will be responded to as soon as possible) Please email in the first instance (emails will be responded to as soon as possible)
Woodley Airfield Centre
- RG5 4UX
- View RG5 4UX on a map
When is it On/Open ?
- Date & Time Information
The CAN Co-ordinator works on a part time basis, any emails will be responded to as soon as possible.
Costs and Fee Information
- Service/Activity is Free
- How is the service funded
Accessing this service
- Age Ranges
- 0 - 25 years
- Booking / Registration Required
- Supporting people with
Autism Spectrum Conditions
Children with Additional Needs
Learning and Communication
Other long term conditions
Local Offer - Support available for children and young people with additional needs
Data last checked: