Skip to main content
Your shortlist 0 What's on

Earley St Peter's CE Aided Primary School

Following guidance from the Government with regard to the coronavirus (COVID-19), before attending an activity, group, drop in, course or event listed on our directory please contact the organisation who is running the service to ensure it is still taking place.


Earley St Peter's Church of England Primary School is a large Voluntary Aided Primary School with 550 pupils on roll including a Nursery with 52 part-time places. It is located on the border between Reading and Wokingham and has strong links with Oxford Diocese. It is the largest Church of England Primary school in the Diocese and also one of the oldest having been founded in 1848.

The school has below average percentage of pupils eligible for FSM although this has been increasing over the last three years. The number of pupils with English as an Additional Language is above average at over 30%, and pupils from minority ethnic groups is double the national average. We are in line with the national average for the number of pupils supported at school action and half the national average for children supported with school action plus or a statement.

Our vision for our school...
Earley St. Peter's School aims to provide a safe, happy and stimulating environment where every child can achieve their full potential.
Within our Christian ethos all children and adults are valued and respected and diversity is celebrated.
We strive to develop individual, confident learners who are enthusiastic for the challenges of education, work and life.

Earley St Peter's CE Aided Primary School

Who to contact

Contact Name
Hester Wooller
Contact Position
Head Teacher
0118 926 1657

Where to go

Earley St Peter's CE Aided Primary School
Church Road

Accessing this service

Type of School
Age Ranges
4 yrs - 11 yrs

Local Offer - Support available for children and young people with additional needs

Local Offer logo
Local Offer Description

Local Offer last reviewed 12/09/2021

Identification of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
1.1: How does the school identify children/young people with special educational needs and disabilities?
  • On-going observations by school staff in class .
  • Tracking of data through formal / informal assessments
  • Teacher assessment– data collated half termly
  • Phonics screening test / school phonics assessments
  • Additional standardised and non standardised assessments across Literacy and numeracy.
  • Outside agency reports.
  • Discussion with parents about their knowledge of their child.
  • Transition reports, visits and sharing of information from previous schools and settings
1.2: What should I do if I think my child has SEND?

Initial contact with the class teacher who will then liaise with the Inclusion Leader with permission from parents.
Alternatively make an appointment via the school office to speak directly to the Inclusion Leader.

Support for children with special educational needs
2.1: If my child is identified as having SEND, who will oversee and plan their education programme?

The class teacher, with support as appropriate from the Inclusion Leader and other professionals, creates individual provision plans and develops appropriate targets for each child. These are recorded on an IPP and are monitored termly by the Inclusion Leader.

2.2: How will I be informed / consulted about the ways in which my child is being supported?
  • Parent teacher/ Inclusion Leader consultations (parent evenings)
  • Annual reviews if your child has an EHCP
  • Additional meetings with the class teacher / Inclusion Leader as required
  • Review meetings with outside agencies if they are involved
  • If a child has an IPP regular meetings will be held to discuss and review progress towards targets.
2.3: How will the school balance my child's need for support with developing their independence?

The IPP will identify the needs and expectations of each individual child. Independence will be encouraged through specific targets and support such as visual timetables and prompt cards.

2.4: How will the school match / differentiate the curriculum for my child's needs?

The curriculum will be differentiated based on each individual child’s needs, taking into account teacher assessment, information from school staff, advice from outside agencies, the need for small group or 1:1 teaching or specific targeted interventions and resources available to the school at the time.

2.5: What teaching strategies does the school use for children with learning difficulties, including autistic spectrum disorder, hearing impairment, visual impairment, speech and language difficulties?

Each child’s needs are looked at individually to determine the best strategies for them.
Strategies may include:

  • Differentiated activities within class
  • Visual support ( timetables,pictures, writing frames, word banks, prompt cards)
  • Communication systems (Pecs, Makaton)
  • Work stations
  • ICT support
  • Modification of work if required
  • Sensory Area
  • Sound systems for HI
  • Reward systems
2.6: What additional staffing does the school provide from its own budget for children with SEND?
  • Inclusion Leader (0.8)
  • 2 SEN Teaching Assistants (0.5), class and 1:1 TAs
  • Nurture co-ordinator and assistants
2.7: What specific intervention programmes does the school offer to children with SEND and are these delivered on a one to one basis or in small groups?
Type / TitleIntervention Type
2.8: What resources and equipment does the school provide for children with SEND?

Currently we have the following resources in school:

  • Sloping desks
  • Seat wedges
  • Ear defenders
  • Concentration toys
  • Calming boxes
  • Pencil grips/ tripod pencils
  • Coloured paper / books
  • Coloured overlays / reading rulers
  • Raised steps to provide access to the disabled toilet
  • OT resources e.g. peanut and balance balls, resources to develop fine motor control, sensory massage equipment
  • Dark den and sensory lights
  • Weighted cushions/ jackets
  • 3 soundfield systems
  • Use of Laptop/ Ipad
  • Safe space
2.9: What special arrangements can be made for my child when taking examinations?

Access to:

  • A reader
  • A scribe
  • Additional time
  • A quiet space to work in
  • Rest breaks

In some cases the use of special arrangements will require additional application to the standards and testing agency. Where this is the case we will discuss this with parents and the appropriate external professionals.

My child's progress
3.1: How will the school monitor my child's progress and how will I be involved in this?

On-going teacher assessment on a half-termly basis.
Regular pupil progress meetings.
Standardised tests that give standardised scores and comparative ages.
IPP targets which are reviewed termly and monitored by the Inclusion Leader.
Information will be shared at IPP meetings, parents’ evening and review meetings with outside agencies if appropriate.

3.2: When my child's progress is being reviewed, how will new targets be set and how will I be involved?

IPPs are reviewed and new targets are set by the class teacher termly. Parents are invited to discuss the IPPs and are involved in the reviewing process and setting of new targets each term.

3.3: ln addition to the school's normal reporting arrangements, what opportunities will there be for me to discuss my child's progress with school staff?

Informal meetings with teachers and/ or Inclusion Leader can be arranged to discuss issues.
Annual reviews if the child has an EHCP
Regular IPP meetings for children who have outside agency involvement.

3.4: What arrangements does the school have for regular home to school contact?

Class teachers / Inclusion Leader / parents may exchange emails / phone conversations; in addition class teachers are available at the end of the school day.
Some children may have a home / school link book.
General information is shared on the school Learning Platform.
Our Parent Support Link is also available to give general advice.

3.5: How can I help support my child's learning?
  • Regular reading at home
  • Support home learning tasks
  • Practise times tables
  • Support IPP target work
3.6: Does the school offer any help for parents / carers to enable them to support their child's learning, eg. training or learning events?

Regular workshops are offered at school on a range of topics.

3.7: How will my child's views be sought about the help they are getting and the progress they are making?

We recognise that pupil voice is important and children are given an opportunity to voice their views.
Pupils’ views are sought at the end of interventions eg. social skills groups, through oral discussion or questionnaires.
Pupils with an EHCP complete a questionnaire in preparation for their annual review and where appropriate they will be invited to attend the review.

3.8: What accredited and non accredited courses do you offer for young people with SEND?

All our children follow the national curriculum at the level appropriate for them.

3.9: How does the school assess the overall effectiveness of its SEN provision and how can parents / carers and young people take part in this evaluation?
  • Monitoring and tracking progress through teacher assessment and standardised scores.
  • Outside agencies review objectives set and the progress made towards them.
  • Impact of interventions monitored regularly and progress tracked.
  • Performance management of SEN staff.
  • Discussions with children and parents.
  • Feedback to the governing body.
Support for my child's overall well being
4.1: What support is available to promote the emotional and social development of children with SEND?
  • Nurture co-ordinator and nurture assistants offer small group or individual support for time limited interventions.
  • Interventions to support emotional and social needs eg. circle of friends, social skills groups
  • Sensory Area for learning breaks/ relaxation
  • Parent Support Link available to support parents
4.2: What support does the school put in place for children who find it difficult to conform to normal behavioural expectations and how do you support children to avoid exclusion?
  • Pastoral Support Plans
  • Access to a quiet room / safe space.
  • Possible reduced timetable following discussion with senior leadership.
  • Playworkers to support during break and lunch times. 
  • Regular communication and support for parents
4.3: What medical support is available in the school for children with SEND?
  • Staff trained in first aid
  • Appropriate training of staff from school and community nurses eg. epilepsy
  • Referrals to the school nurse where necessary.
  • Opportunity to write a Care Plan alongside the school nursing service if required
4.4: How does the school manage the administration of medicines?
  • Several members of staff have attended the full first aid training.
  • The majority of staff have attended basic first aid training.
  • All staff are regularly offered Epipen training.
  • Medicine is checked termly to ensure it is in date.
  • A form must be completed for any children who need to have medication during the school day.
  • We ask parents to make us aware of any particular medical needs so that we can work together to ensure the child’s needs are met.
  • Information is displayed to inform staff of individual children’s medical needs eg. nut allergy.
4.5: How does the school provide help with personal care where this is needed, eg. help with toileting, eating etc?

The child’s needs are discussed with parents and support provided if appropriate within the limitations of a mainstream school.

Specialist services and expertise available at or accessed by the school
5.1: What SEN support services does the school use, eg. specialist support teachers, educational psychologists, teachers for hearing impairment and visual impairment, ASD advisory teachers, behaviour support teachers etc?

We use all of the above support services for specific children plus:

  • Occupational Therapists
  • Physiotherapists
  • Speech and Language Therapists
  • Learning Support Service
  • Addington Outreach support
5.2: What should I do if I think my child needs support from one of these services?

Speak to the child’s class teacher or the Inclusion Leader who will advise next steps and make referrals as appropriate.

5.3: How are speech and language therapy, occupational therapy and physiotherapy services provided?
  • School staff follow programmes provided by these services.
  • Speech and language therapists assess children termly in school and set new targets.
  • OT and Physiotherapy visit to assess and advise as appropriate.
5.4: What should I do if I think my child needs to be seen by a speech and language therapist, occupational therapist or physiotherapist?
  • Speak to the Inclusion Leader or your GP to request a referral for Speech and Language therapy. The Inclusion Leader can also make a referral to OT or physiotherapy if your child has an EHCP but otherwise you will need to visit your GP.
  • Parents can access advice via CYPIT (Children and Young People’s Integrated Therapies).
5.5: What arrangements does the school have for liaison with Children's Social Care services?

The Deputy Head teacher is the designated officer for Child Protection.

School works in close partnership with Children’s Social Care and can support families to access these services if required

Training of school staff in SEND
6.1: What SEND training is provided for teachers in your school?
  • SEN staff INSET meetings as required.
  • Training is provided dependent on current need.
  • The Inclusion Leader and other staff attend training and then share information with staff.
6.2: What SEND training is provided for teaching assistants and other staff in your school?

As 6.1

  • Teaching Assistants are given the opportunities to attend courses and training to further their development and understanding of areas of SEN.
  • TAs train and support each other with specific intervention work.
  • Regular TA meetings are held with the Head teacher / Inclusion Leader
6.3: Do teachers have any specific qualifications in SEND?

The Inclusion Leader has an M.A.certificate in Special Educational Needs after completing the SENCO accreditation course. The Inclusion Leader and staff have attended a range of different courses as appropriate to support SEN within the school.

6.4: Do teaching assistants have any specific qualifications in SEND?

No answer given

Activities outside the classroom including school trips
7.1: How do you ensure children with SEND can be included in out of school activities and trips?

We aim to include all children in out of school activities and trips. We will discuss the trip with parents beforehand and complete risk assessments in line with local authority guidelines.

1-1 support may be provided depending on the level of need identified through risk assessment.

In exceptional circumstance the school retains the right to exclude individual children from school activities / trips. This will be the case where risk assessment of their individual needs or behaviour concludes that to include them would present a danger to themselves or others or undermine the educational purpose of the trip for other pupils.
External agency advice is sought.

7.2: How do you involve parents / carers in planning the support required for their child to access activities and trips?
  • Through discussion with parents / school staff.
  • Advice is also taken from the trip venue in terms of facilities and accessibility.
  • Pre-visits (where appropriate), social stories, photo booklets / video clips may be used to support preparation.
Accessibility of the school environment
8.1: How accessible is the building for children with mobility difficulties / wheelchair users?

The school is based in 5 buildings – Nursery, Foundation Stage Unit / Year 2, Years 3 and 4/ library, Office/ staffroom and main building.  All areas are accessible for wheelchair users.

8.2: Have adaptations / improvements been made to the auditory and visual environment?

Adaptations have been made on recommendations from outside agencies to suit individual need.

8.3: Are there accessible changing and toilet facilities?

There is only one disabled toilet located in the Foundation Stage Unit.

8.4: How do you ensure that all the school's facilities can be accessed by children with SEND?

The school has been adapted with accessibility in mind for both children and adults. Where modifications are required the school will aim to plan for these.

8.5: How does the school communicate with parents / carers who have a disability?

See previous methods of communication to parents.

In addition – where disabilities are known the school will aim to communicate in the most effective method for individual parents / carers.

8.6: How does the school communicate with parents / carers whose first language is not English?

See previous methods of communication to parents.

The school has a number of bi-lingual staff who are able to translate for parents / carers who speak the same language.

Preparing my child to join the school or to transfer to a new school or the next stage of education and life
9.1: What preparation will there be for both the school and my child before he or she joins the school?
  • Home visit may be arranged with Foundation Stage staff and/ or the Inclusion Leader.
  • Consultation meetings / phone conversation with current pre-school / setting if needs are significant.
  • Planned transition visit to school.
  • Meetings with parents / specialist services if involved.
9.2: How will my child be prepared to move on to the next stage within school, e.g. class or key stage?
  • Transition meetings arranged for parents/ teachers/ TAs/ Inclusion Leader to share information.
  • Transition plans with photos provided where appropriate.
  • Opportunity to complete transition booklet.
  • Additional transition visits to new classroom / teacher.
  • New teacher to see the child in their current setting / class.
9.3: How will my child be prepared to move on to his or her next school?
  • Y6 Transition group sessions to prepare for the move to secondary.
  • PSL can offer support for parents.
  • Foundry College may be commissioned to support individual children with transition.
  • Vulnerable children visits arranged by the Secondary schools.
  • Secondary colleagues invited to school to meet child / be part of a review meeting if necessary to answer parent / child questions.
9.4: How will you support a new school to prepare for my child?
  • Meet and discuss individual needs in Year 5 if the child has an EHCP.
  • Invite the new school to meet the child in school.
  • Share good practice and strategies with new school.
  • Teaching Assistant may accompany child on the transition visits.
  • Y6 teachers to meet with all Secondary schools to pass on information about all children.
  • Additional review meeting may be arranged for pupils with more complex needs.
9.5: What information will be provided to my child's new school?

Current assessment records.

All SEN records e.g. IPPs, EHC plan / annual reviews if applicable, intervention records, diagnostic assessments, professional reports, review meeting notes.

9.6: How will the school prepare my child for the transition to further education or employment?


Who can I contact to discuss my child ?
10.1: Who would be my first point of contact if I want to discuss something about my child or if I am worried?
  • Class teacher
  • Inclusion Leader
  • Senior Leadership Team
10.2: Does the school offer any specific support for parents / carers and families (such as Family Support Workers?)

The school employs a part-time Parent Support Link who is based on site during term-time in the Learning Zone.The Parent Support Link works to help parents and carers achieve positive outcomes for their children. This includes providing parents and carers with or signposting them to information, organising group events, giving practical help or offering a listening ear.

10.3: What arrangements does the school have for signposting parents / carers to external agencies which can offer support, such as voluntary agencies?

Our Parent Support Link has literature and knowledge of many local agencies and can support parents in accessing their services.

Alongside other members of staff, the school’s Parent Support Link can signpost parents and carers appropriate to their specific needs. Parents and carers may be signposted to information, workshops, courses, events, local services. This includes local Borough services or local/national voluntary agencies. 

10.4: What arrangements does the school have for feedback from parents, including compliments and complaints?

Feedback from parents will be part of the termly review of IPPs or for those pupils with an EHCP, a written report of the parents’ views is included in the process.

The school has a complaints policy for parents to follow.

School Admissions and Policy Documents

11.1: School admission arrangements for children with special educational needs and disabilities

11.2: School Accessibility Plan

11.3: Special Education Needs Policy

Data last checked: 20/06/2018
Is there anything wrong with this page?

Wokingham Services Directory Disclaimer

The Service Directory includes information and links to third party internet websites which are controlled and maintained by others, information is provided solely for guidance and does not constitute any endorsement. Wokingham Borough Council is not responsible for the accuracy of the information on the directories and information is not provided as a recommendation of suitability or quality of service.