Following guidance from the Government and Wokingham Borough Council with regard to the COVID-19 coronavirus, we are not running any parent programmes, drop in sessions, workshops or groups at the Woodley airfield centre for now.
ASSIST will continue to be available via email – firstname.lastname@example.org we can call you back if a discussion would be helpful.
EarlyBird, EarlyBird Plus, Healthy Minds, Next Steps
The EarlyBird and Healthy Minds parent programmes are overseen by the National Autistic Society and managed by the ASSIST team who are licenced to deliver the programmes in Wokingham. The programmes are for parents of a child or young person with autism.
The EarlyBird programme covers pre-school age, whilst EarlyBird Plus covers from 4 up to aged 9 age range. These programmes run across a school term combining group training sessions and individual home visits. The programmes aim to:
- Support families following a diagnosis of autism (across the autism spectrum)
- Empower parents and carers
- Help families understand their child’s autism
- Facilitate the understanding of communication, particularly the differences in communication
- Develop understanding around problem behaviours - how to handle and pre-empt possible difficulties
- A practitioner from school can attend the EarlyBird Plus programme with parents enabling consistency of approach across home and school
The Healthy Minds programme is for parents of a child/young person with autism of primary school age. This programme runs for six sessions and aims to:
- Empower parents, carers and accompanying practitioners to understand more about the mental health issues that young people with autism may face
- Participants will learn about, and be encouraged to use, a range of strategies to help their children develop and maintain a positive and confident approach to the ‘Humpty Dumpty’ moments that we can all experience in daily life – being able to pick ourselves up and carry on.
- We look specifically at –
- Emotional wellbeing
- Emotional development
- Building self-esteem
- Increasing confidence
- Reducing anxiety
- Developing resilience
The Next Steps programme is for parents of a young person aged 9 up to their 18th birthday, who has a diagnosis of autism or who is on the pathway for an autism assessment. There are four sessions covering:
- What is autism including sensory processing differences
- Communication – differences from an autism perspective
- Behaviour – isolation and withdrawal as well as those behaviours which are difficult to manage
- Friendships, transition, etc.
There is a charge for parent programmes, which covers the cost of the materials. However, we do not want anyone to not be able to attend a programme due to financial issues, and would ask that you discuss your concerns with a programme presenter.
- Service provided by Wokingham Borough Council