Highwood Primary School

Highwood Primary School is one of nine schools represented in the Woodley cluster. The school is a one from entry school and has a Speech and Language resource for children who have been diagnosed as having Specific Language Impairment as their primary need. Speech and Language therapists from the National Health Service are based at the school to provide support for the pupils in the resource.

The school has a nursery with morning and afternoon provision. The school is very diverse in it’s make up and has above national averages of children with statements and those who are eligible for free school meals. The school works closely with the Wokingham SEND department, which is based on the Highwood site but is not part of the school. Highwood is graded as a good school by Ofsted.

Contact information

Highwood Primary School
Scan to visit this website
Contact Name
Mr Matt Hickey
Contact Position
Head Teacher
0118 926 5493 0118 926 5493


Highwood Primary School
Fairwater Drive
View RG5 3JE on a map

When is it On/Open ?

Date & Time Information

School runs from 8.45am to 3.10pm.

We also run a breakfast club from 7.45am to the start of school and after school club from the end of school until 6pm.


Facilities and Accessibility

Sensory Room
Wheelchair access
Premises on a bus route
Outdoor Play Area
Baby change facilities
Accessible toilet

Accessing this service

Type of School
Age Ranges
4 yrs - 11 yrs

Provision For

Supporting people with
Learning and Communication
Local Offer

Local Offer - Support available for children and young people with additional needs

Local Offer Description

Local Offer last reviewed 16/06/2021

Identification of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) 1.1: How does the school identify children/young people with special educational needs and disabilities?
  • Screeners e.g. dyslexia, reading, spelling, Progress in Maths
  • Outside agency reports
  • Talking to parents and use their knowledge
  • Experiences shared from previous school and settings.
  • On-going teacher observations, assessments and discussions
1.2: What should I do if I think my child has SEND?
  • Contact class teacher initially regarding concerns.
  • Meet with school Head of Inclusion
  • Agree actions and interventions - Plan - Do - Review
Support for children with special educational needs 2.1: If my child is identified as having SEND, who will oversee and plan their education programme?

The Class Teacher and the Head of Inclusion with the support of any appropriate outside agencies.

2.2: How will I be informed / consulted about the ways in which my child is being supported?
  • An arranged meeting with the class teacher
  • A meeting with the Head of Inclusion
  • Through the child’s Individual Education Plan (IEP) and review.
  • Parents evening
  • Annual reports
  • Parents can also arrange meetings with the class teacher and/or Head of Inclusion
2.3: How will the school balance my child's need for support with developing their independence?
  • IEP
  • Visual timetables
  • Visual learning aids
  • Differentiated work
  • Small group
2.4: How will the school match / differentiate the curriculum for my child's needs?

The curriculum will be differentiated based on each child’s individual needs, taking into account teacher assessments, advice from outside agencies, the need for small group or 1:1 if needed or specific interventions.

2.5: What teaching strategies does the school use for children with learning difficulties, including autistic spectrum disorder, hearing impairment, visual impairment, speech and language difficulties?

Strategies include:

  • Differentiated activities
  • Visual learning aids including pictures, writing frames, word banks
  • Visual timetables
  • Reward systems
  • ICT support
  • The learning environment of the class
  • Small step success criteria
  • Multi- sensory approaches to learning (where appropriate)
2.6: What additional staffing does the school provide from its own budget for children with SEND?
  • Reading recovery and numbers counts teacher
  • EAL support worker for those EAL children with SEND (where possible or appropriate)
  • Pastoral support 
  • Social Skills groups
  • Auditory Memory groups/sessions
2.7: What specific intervention programmes does the school offer to children with SEND and are these delivered on a one to one basis or in small groups?
Type / TitleIntervention Type
2.8: What resources and equipment does the school provide for children with SEND?

This will vary for each child and will be at the discretion of the school. We will, however, endeavour to provide resources as each children with SEND requires.

  • Sloping desks
  • Pencil grips
  • Posture pads
  • Wobble cushions
  • Weighted blankets
  • Appropriate ICT programmes
2.9: What special arrangements can be made for my child when taking examinations?

This will depend greatly on the support and provision the child receives in class but this can include.

Applications are all made through DFE for:-

  • Additional time
  • Scribes
  • Readers
My child's progress 3.1: How will the school monitor my child's progress and how will I be involved in this?
  • On-going teacher assessment
  • Standardised tests that give standardised scores and comparative ages
  • IEP meetings and parents evenings
  • Annual reviews for children with Statements
  • National tests
3.2: When my child's progress is being reviewed, how will new targets be set and how will I be involved?

IEPs updated throughout the term depending on teacher observations and assessment. All efforts will be made to keep you informed of your child’s progress through the term.

3.3: ln addition to the school's normal reporting arrangements, what opportunities will there be for me to discuss my child's progress with school staff?

The staff at Highwood are always happy to arrange meetings to discuss your child’s progress at any time.  

3.4: What arrangements does the school have for regular home to school contact?

Where appropriate the school may use home school diaries.

Highwood has an open door policy at the  end of day for you to talk to the teacher.

All teachers are happy make appointments to meet with parents at a time that is convenient to the parent.

3.5: How can I help support my child's learning?
  • Listen to your child read regularly at home
  • Support your child with their homework
  • Ensure the children do their SLT homework where appropriate
  • Praise your child when they share their achievements with you.
  • Come to meetings when arranged
  • Join the school's 'SPLAT' events where parents can come and take part in learning with their children
3.6: Does the school offer any help for parents / carers to enable them to support their child's learning, eg. training or learning events?

The school sends a curriculum overview home every term to ensure that you can support your child in their learning at home.

There are occasional training sessions on how to support your child in reading etc. Any training available is mentioned in letters home.

You can also arrange a meeting with the class teacher to go through any strategies that are used in school or would help your child.

3.7: How will my child's views be sought about the help they are getting and the progress they are making?

The children’s views are sought for annual reviews of children with statements.

Teachers carry out structured conversations with some children.

Children are welcome at parents evening to give their views.

All provision is discussed with the child before it is begun to ensure that they understand what is going to happen and whether they are happy with what the provision will entail.

3.8: What accredited and non accredited courses do you offer for young people with SEND?


3.9: How does the school assess the overall effectiveness of its SEN provision and how can parents / carers and young people take part in this evaluation?
  • Monitoring progress through teacher assessments and standardised tests.
  • With the support of outside agencies who review objectives set and progress made towards them.
  • Through the impact of interventions.
  • Discussions with children and parents as appropriate.
  • Children are aware of learning targets and next steps.
Support for my child's overall well being 4.1: What support is available to promote the emotional and social development of children with SEND?
  • Specific interventions E.G. Circle time, circle of friends etc
  • Access to the school pastoral team, where appropriate.
  • Liaison with Berkshire woman’s aid.
  • Foundry College.
  • Daisy’s Dream
4.2: What support does the school put in place for children who find it difficult to conform to normal behavioural expectations and how do you support children to avoid exclusion?
  • A Robust behaviour policy
  • Clear and consistent behaviour goals.
  • Clear guidelines of choice.
  • Support in decision making.
  • Behaviour support plans.
  • Individual provision can be decided.
  • Quiet, time out areas can be arranged.
  • Pastoral Support Plan (PSP)
4.3: What medical support is available in the school for children with SEND?
  • Trained first aid staff and equipment
  • Staff will be trained as and when needed to support children
4.4: How does the school manage the administration of medicines?
  • Through the schools medicine policy
  • All medicine is arranged through the school office.
4.5: How does the school provide help with personal care where this is needed, eg. help with toileting, eating etc?
  • Disabled toilets
  • 1:1 support with personal care where appropriate
Specialist services and expertise available at or accessed by the school 5.1: What SEN support services does the school use, eg. specialist support teachers, educational psychologists, teachers for hearing impairment and visual impairment, ASD advisory teachers, behaviour support teachers etc?

At times it may be appropriate to access outside agencies these may include:-

  • Family support workers
  • CAHMs doctors
  • Occupational Therapists
  • Physiotherapists
  • Speech and Language
  • Therapists
  • School Nurse
  • Behaviour support workers
  • Visually impaired services
  • Hearing Impaired services
5.2: What should I do if I think my child needs support from one of these services?

Speak to the class teacher and / or Head of Inclusion who will advise you of next steps and make referrals if appropriate.

5.3: How are speech and language therapy, occupational therapy and physiotherapy services provided?

Referrals are made to the appropriate service through the Children and Young Person’s Integrated Therapies Service (CYPIT).

Professionals come in to assess the children where necessary and set objectives, programmes and/or next steps.

In school staff carries out any programmes left for the child.

Professionals then either come in from time to time to assess progress made or the school request them back into school to assess children.

Most of these services can also be accessed through your GP.

5.4: What should I do if I think my child needs to be seen by a speech and language therapist, occupational therapist or physiotherapist?

Speak to the class teacher and / or Head of Inclusion who will advise you of next steps and make referrals as appropriate.

These services can also be accessed through the GP.

5.5: What arrangements does the school have for liaison with Children's Social Care services?

School has access to Children’s social care services as required.

Training of school staff in SEND 6.1: What SEND training is provided for teachers in your school?
  • SEN staff meetings
  • Time to discuss children with SEND and their needs is allocated to every Senior Management meeting agenda.
  • Training is provided depending on current needs.
  • Head of Inclusion and/or Head teacher attend SEND training where appropriate and feed back to staff
6.2: What SEND training is provided for teaching assistants and other staff in your school?
  • Teaching assistants are given opportunities to attend courses and training to further develop their knowledge and understanding of areas of SEN.
  • All staff are part of ongoing CPD in line with the school and pupil’s needs.
6.3: Do teachers have any specific qualifications in SEND?


  • University Accredited Special Educational Needs Co-Ordinator qualification.
6.4: Do teaching assistants have any specific qualifications in SEND?

TA's have various training throughout their time in the school but this is always changing. Staff are trained depending on the greatest need within the school at the time.

Activities outside the classroom including school trips 7.1: How do you ensure children with SEND can be included in out of school activities and trips?

All children are included in outdoor activities and trips in discussion with parents. Risk assessments are carried out in line with the local authority guidelines. Parents may accompany child if necessary or 1:1 support may be provided depending on the level of need.

7.2: How do you involve parents / carers in planning the support required for their child to access activities and trips?

Parents are asked to fill in a form regarding their child’s needs. They are also invited to a meeting for residential trips.

Parents are always welcome to talk to the class teacher and ask any questions they need to.

Accessibility of the school environment 8.1: How accessible is the building for children with mobility difficulties / wheelchair users?

We are a single storey school with mobility access throughout.

8.2: Have adaptations / improvements been made to the auditory and visual environment?

None at this time

8.3: Are there accessible changing and toilet facilities?

Yes – we have disabled toilets in 3 locations in the school

8.4: How do you ensure that all the school's facilities can be accessed by children with SEND?

We have children with a wide variety of SEND that use our facilities successfully and we adapt where necessary.

8.5: How does the school communicate with parents / carers who have a disability?

As previously stated.

8.6: How does the school communicate with parents / carers whose first language is not English?

We have an EAL team who speaks a variety of languages and interprets for the school.

Where necessary we buy in interpreters or ask family members to help communicate information for key information.

Preparing my child to join the school or to transfer to a new school or the next stage of education and life 9.1: What preparation will there be for both the school and my child before he or she joins the school?
  • Home/school visits, where arranged, including school staff and school SENCo.
  • Liaison with current pre-school setting and visits to meet the child in a familiar setting.
  • Planned transitions, including visits into school.
  • Photos or booklets with team information.
  • Meetings with the family and specialists involved with the family if possible.
  • School staff to attend TAFs, annual reviews etc if appropriate.
9.2: How will my child be prepared to move on to the next stage within school, e.g. class or key stage?
  • Teacher to see child in current class setting.
  • Parents to meet with class teacher prior to the move.
  • Teachers to pass on information and meet to discuss the needs of the child in question. Including social, emotional, physical and medical needs.


9.3: How will my child be prepared to move on to his or her next school?
  • As above
  • Liaising with and in line with the future schools policy.


9.4: How will you support a new school to prepare for my child?
  • Meet with the school and pass on information regarding the child’s needs. Share strategies and practices that have been successful.
  • Invite them to the annual review, if appropriate.
  • Invite the new school to visit the child in current setting.
  • Suggest where additional transition days may be necessary.
9.5: What information will be provided to my child's new school?

As above

9.6: How will the school prepare my child for the transition to further education or employment?


Who can I contact to discuss my child ? 10.1: Who would be my first point of contact if I want to discuss something about my child or if I am worried?

The order in which you would contact someone about your child regarding their education would be:-

  • Class teacher
  • Phase Leader
  • Head of Inclusion
  • Deputy Head teacher
  • Head teacher
10.2: Does the school offer any specific support for parents / carers and families (such as Family Support Workers?)
  • Parent Support Worker gives specific support to parents if required.
  • We have a Head of Inclusion who parents can speak to if they have concerns.
  • School can contact the Family and Parenting Support team or vulnerable children’s education team should home schooling be needed at any time.
10.3: What arrangements does the school have for signposting parents / carers to external agencies which can offer support, such as voluntary agencies?

School tries to keep up to date contacts for agencies and is always happy to help parents/carers find support groups as needed.

10.4: What arrangements does the school have for feedback from parents, including compliments and complaints?
  • The school has an open door policy and invites parent’s constructive comments.
  • Appointments can be made with the Head of Inclusion and the Head Teacher to discuss any matter, be it positive feedback or an area of concern.
  • The school has a complaints policy; complaints can also be made to the chair of governors.
  • The school gives out annual questionnaires to parents.
School Admissions and Policy Documents

11.1: School admission arrangements for children with special educational needs and disabilities

School Admission Link
Admissions Policy

11.2: School Accessibility Plan

11.3: Special Education Needs Policy

SEN Policy Link
SEN policy

Last Update

Data last checked:

Is there anything wrong with this page?
Happy face Neutral face Sad face
Skip back to top of page