Skip to main content
Your shortlist 0 What's on

Aldryngton Primary School

Aldryngton is a primary school situated in Earley with capacity for 315 pupils aged between 4 and 11 years of age.

The school provides all pupils with an outstanding quality of education within the context of a happy and caring school community. By means of excellent teaching and a highly stimulating curriculum, tailored to the needs of individuals, pupils achieve exceptionally well.

Underpinned by a caring and inclusive ethos, the school uses strong teamwork and partnerships in order that pupils experience success in many different ways. We continue to be committed to high academic standards and promote maturity, independence and hard work. Pupils are encouraged to take on challenge and responsibility in developing a desire for learning that will remain with them throughout their lives’.

Aldryngton Primary School

Who to contact

Contact Name
Mrs Elaine Stewart
Contact Position
Head Teacher
0118 926 5843

Where to go

Aldryngton Primary School
Off Silverdale Road

Accessing this service

Type of School
Age Ranges
4 yrs - 11 yrs

Local Offer - Support available for children and young people with additional needs

Local Offer logo
Contact Name
Mrs Elaine Stewart
Contact Telephone
Contact Email
Local Offer Description
Identification of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
1.1: How does the school identify children/young people with special educational needs and disabilities?

On entry to school information is gathered from previous settings, the child’s family and any external agencies working with the child / family.  Pupils are assessed on a regular basis in order to determine the progress being made towards set targets or expected learning. If a child fails to make expected progress additional support will be considered.

1.2: What should I do if I think my child has SEND?

Firstly, you should discuss your concerns with your child’s class teacher. If concerns continue the school’s Special Educational Needs Leader will become involved.

Support for children with special educational needs
2.1: If my child is identified as having SEND, who will oversee and plan their education programme?

Your child’s provision will be devised by their class teacher with support from the school’s Special Educational Needs Leader and any external agencies as appropriate. 

2.2: How will I be informed / consulted about the ways in which my child is being supported?

Pupils with SEND will have their provision recorded on an Individual Education Plan (IEP), a document that is drawn up in consultation with parents, pupils and staff. The IEP will set out specific targets for the pupil, the measurable outcomes, the additional support being provided and make clear who will deliver the support.

2.3: How will the school balance my child's need for support with developing their independence?

This will be considered on a pupil by pupil basis. We will monitor progress and target increasing levels of independence as appropriate and in line with their individual programme of support.

2.4: How will the school match / differentiate the curriculum for my child's needs?

In line with their planned provision as identified on their IEP and through general differentiation provided by the class teacher.

2.5: What teaching strategies does the school use for children with learning difficulties, including autistic spectrum disorder, hearing impairment, visual impairment, speech and language difficulties?

The school applies strategies in line with recommendations from external agencies and specific pupil reports. Staff training and working with external agencies enables staff to meet specific pupil needs as listed above.

2.6: What additional staffing does the school provide from its own budget for children with SEND?

The school employs a part time (2 day a week) SEN Leader and teaching assistants supporting learning in class and also to deliver interventions.

2.7: What specific intervention programmes does the school offer to children with SEND and are these delivered on a one to one basis or in small groups?
Type / TitleIntervention Type

Literacy and numeracy support 

One to one

Nurture assistant 

One to one

Social skills 

One to one

Memory development 

One to one

Fine and gross motor skills development 

One to one

Precision monitoring phonics and spelling

One to one

 1:1 tuition 

One to one

 Spelling support 

One to one

Literacy and numeracy support 

Small group

Social skills 

Small group

Nurture assistant 

Small group

Fine and gross motor skills development 

Small group

Talk partners - EAL 

Small group

Spelling support

Small group
2.8: What resources and equipment does the school provide for children with SEND?

The school aims to meet group and individual needs in order for pupils to access the curriculum and school facilities. The school may need to request specialist equipment from outside agencies such as the occupational therapy service and sensory consortium for those pupils with hearing and visual impairment.

2.9: What special arrangements can be made for my child when taking examinations?

Additional support and special arrangements are applied in line with set guidance e.g. additional time, reading and writing support and modified test papers.

My child's progress
3.1: How will the school monitor my child's progress and how will I be involved in this?

On-going teacher assessments, IEP review meetings, intervention outcomes; standardised tests; parent evening meetings; Annual review meetings for pupils with EHCPs; multi agency review meetings as necessary.

3.2: When my child's progress is being reviewed, how will new targets be set and how will I be involved?

New targets are set folliwng an assessment of the progress made towards previous targets. Parents' feedback is sought when judging the progress made. This is done by means of written and verbal feeedback. 

3.3: ln addition to the school's normal reporting arrangements, what opportunities will there be for me to discuss my child's progress with school staff?

Meetings with your child’s teacher or the school’s SEN Leader can be arranged for a  mutually convenient time. Review meetings linked to learning and other needs. Follow up meetings with staff from external agencies who have been requested to assess a child's needs. 

3.4: What arrangements does the school have for regular home to school contact?

Home school communication books if deemed appropriate; school website and learning platform; newsletters; email / texting systems.

3.5: How can I help support my child's learning?

The completion of homework tasks; ensuring your child comes to school with the correct equipment; regular practice of key skills such as reading and learning number bonds and multiplication tables; completing additional work / activities as listed on an IEP or health care plan.

3.6: Does the school offer any help for parents / carers to enable them to support their child's learning, eg. training or learning events?

Parent coffee mornings held at school; new parents’ evening; transition information presentations for all parents held during the summer term; Open Evening; curriculum information evenings; various workshops provided by the school's parent support advisor and external agencies. 

3.7: How will my child's views be sought about the help they are getting and the progress they are making?

Whole school assessment processes capture pupils’ views and judgements about their progress. They are involved in setting and reviewing their learning targets in a range of subjects.

Children with an Education Health Care Plans (EHCP) have an opportunity to express their views at Annual Reviews and other review meetings through the use of the ‘Have your say’ booklet.

3.8: What accredited and non accredited courses do you offer for young people with SEND?

Pupils follow the national curriculum at the level appropriate for them. 

3.9: How does the school assess the overall effectiveness of its SEN provision and how can parents / carers and young people take part in this evaluation?

Data analysis is scrutinised at Senior Leadership level on a termly basis to determine progress for a variety of pupil groups including those with identified SEND. The SEN Leader measures the impact of interventions delivered each term and uses the analysis to inform future provisions. Pupils and parent views are sought as part of the IEP review process. SEN is reported to governors and discussed at committee and whole governing body level.

Termly School Planning meetings take place to assess the impact of external support provided to the school.

Support for my child's overall well being
4.1: What support is available to promote the emotional and social development of children with SEND?

Personal, Social & Health Education provides all pupils with a core access to key learning; identified pupils are given additional social skills support; some have extra support with transition; there are times when individuals are allocated a ‘buddy’ such as newcomers to the school or when they experience friendship issues;, nurture assistant groups take place to support emotional and social skills development for identified pupils.

4.2: What support does the school put in place for children who find it difficult to conform to normal behavioural expectations and how do you support children to avoid exclusion?

Behaviour plans, communication with parents, 1:1 support, reward and sanctions system general and specific to the child; whole school systems such as Golden Time; de-escalation techniques; school ethos of mutual respect; assemblies and curriculum content; reflection sheets; home/school communication book; bespoke staff training from external agencies linked to an individual child if necessary.

4.3: What medical support is available in the school for children with SEND?

In addition to first aid cover the school has key staff trained in delivering medical support to pupils with specific medical needs such as diabetes. Staff work in line with health care professionals’ recommendations and in partnership with parents / carers.

4.4: How does the school manage the administration of medicines?

In line with our administration of medicines policy.

4.5: How does the school provide help with personal care where this is needed, eg. help with toileting, eating etc?

Parents are requested to prioritise supporting their child to acquire basic self-help skills in advance of joining the school. If necessary though, support is offered by staff as required. Lunchtime staff assist with the use of cutlery and class based staff encourage correct toileting techniques. The school is able to access the support of the community nursing team if necessary.

Specialist services and expertise available at or accessed by the school
5.1: What SEN support services does the school use, eg. specialist support teachers, educational psychologists, teachers for hearing impairment and visual impairment, ASD advisory teachers, behaviour support teachers etc?

The school uses a range of SEN support services including access to an Educational Psychologist, teachers for Hearing Impairment and Visual Impairment, ASD Advisory teachers, Behaviour Support advisors and Speech and Language Therapists. Requests for this level of support is accessed through a referral process and allocated in line with need thresholds. The school has experience of working in line with the advice and recommendations of Occupational Therapist, Physiotherapists and Speech and Language Therapists.

5.2: What should I do if I think my child needs support from one of these services?

Through a discussion with the class teacher in the first instance.

5.3: How are speech and language therapy, occupational therapy and physiotherapy services provided?

Access to external support services is via a referral system which takes into account the level of need and the threshold level that apply to the respective services.

5.4: What should I do if I think my child needs to be seen by a speech and language therapist, occupational therapist or physiotherapist?

Through discussion with your child’s GP who may seek additional information from the school to support a referral if they feel the necessary threshold of need has been met. You may also discuss your concerns with the school’s SEN Leader. If your child is under the age of 5, you are able to access Speech and Language drop-in sessions and the local children’s centre. Details are available from the school office.

5.5: What arrangements does the school have for liaison with Children's Social Care services?

The Headteacher is the designated officer for Child protection and the Deputy Headteacher in her absence. There are referral processes the school can initiate on request by the parent and when identified by the school. Early help or more specialist support can be offered through this process if the required threshold is met.

Training of school staff in SEND
6.1: What SEND training is provided for teachers in your school?

In-house training from the SEN Leader and other professionals such as sensory consortium and the educational psychology service. Training has included the following aspects of the school’s provision: epipen and diabetes, autism, positive handling techniques for challenging behaviours, developing self-esteem and supporting learning for individuals and groups such as those with English as an additional language.

6.2: What SEND training is provided for teaching assistants and other staff in your school?

In-house training from the SEN Leader and other professionals such as sensory consortium and the educational psychology service. Training has included the following aspects of the school’s provision: epipen and diabetes, autism, positive handling techniques for challenging behaviours, developing self-esteem and supporting learning for individuals and groups such as those with English as an additional language.

6.3: Do teachers have any specific qualifications in SEND?

The school’s SEN Leader has the SEN national accreditation.

6.4: Do teaching assistants have any specific qualifications in SEND?

Several of the school’s teaching assistants have achieved the Higher Level Teaching Assistant qualification with a key focus on positive behaviour management. We also have trained Nurture Assistants and thsoe able to plan and deliver EAL interventions.

Activities outside the classroom including school trips
7.1: How do you ensure children with SEND can be included in out of school activities and trips?

Individual off-site risk assessments are completed to include all aspects of the planned activities to ensure safe and full access to activities.
In exceptional circumstances the school retains the right to exclude individual children from school activities / trips. This will be the case where risk assessment of their individual needs or behaviour concludes that to include them would present a danger to themselves or others or undermine the educational purpose of the trip for other pupils.

7.2: How do you involve parents / carers in planning the support required for their child to access activities and trips?

Through discussion with key staff, parents and taking into account advice provided by the venue concerned, and information gathered during a site visit when possible.

Accessibility of the school environment
8.1: How accessible is the building for children with mobility difficulties / wheelchair users?

Access is possible to all areas of the school building via ramps.

8.2: Have adaptations / improvements been made to the auditory and visual environment?

The school has a range of wall and floor coverings with varying levels of acoustic effectiveness. All classrooms have blinds to eliminate excessive sunlight when necessary.

8.3: Are there accessible changing and toilet facilities?

The school has two designated disabled toilets, one in the main school building and one in the Middle School department based in the modular block. The school has changing facilities for pupils with diagnosed medical conditions in the Lower School department.  


8.4: How do you ensure that all the school's facilities can be accessed by children with SEND?

The school reviews access arrangements both in general and specific terms. The school has some experience of working with external agencies and parents in ensuring access issues are addressed.

8.5: How does the school communicate with parents / carers who have a disability?

In addition to the methods already outlined, the school will aim to communicate in the most effective method for individual parents and carers making use of LA support as required.

8.6: How does the school communicate with parents / carers whose first language is not English?

The LA is able to support schools with translators and written translation services. The school has a number of bi-lingual staff who may be able to translate for parents and carers.  

Preparing my child to join the school or to transfer to a new school or the next stage of education and life
9.1: What preparation will there be for both the school and my child before he or she joins the school?

Home visits for those deemed to be vulnerable of transition; transition meetings; setting visits; buddies; individualised meetings; photo booklets; visits to Aldryngton in advance of joining the school.

9.2: How will my child be prepared to move on to the next stage within school, e.g. class or key stage?

Careful consideration is given to the placement of pupils for the start of each academic year. Visits to their new class to meet their new teacher are arranged for the end of the summer term. Staff meet to exchange information on all pupils. Additional visits and support is offered to children who are identified as having additional needs. Transition meetings are set up with staff and parents when required to agree the additional support. Teaching Assistants support children with internal transition in key areas of the school.

9.3: How will my child be prepared to move on to his or her next school?

Pupil visits to the new school; discussions with staff from current and new school; access to Vulnerable Pupils’ programme of support as appropriate and applicable; additional visits; Nurture group work if appropriate.

9.4: How will you support a new school to prepare for my child?

Sharing key information about progress and successful ways of working in advance of a child joining a new school; arrange visits to our school for new staff; review meeting involvement for staff and parents.

9.5: What information will be provided to my child's new school?

Your child’s educational record including SEN records such as individual education plans, statement of education needs or an Education, Health Care Plan, all review paperwork, intervention records, diagnostic assessments, professional reports.

9.6: How will the school prepare my child for the transition to further education or employment?

Not applicable

Who can I contact to discuss my child ?
10.1: Who would be my first point of contact if I want to discuss something about my child or if I am worried?

Class teacher, SEN Leader or member of the leadership team.

10.2: Does the school offer any specific support for parents / carers and families (such as Family Support Workers?)

Referrals to the Local authority can be made after discussions with their class teacher, SEN Leader or member of the leadership team. 

10.3: What arrangements does the school have for signposting parents / carers to external agencies which can offer support, such as voluntary agencies?

The school invites open dialogue and encourages parents to provide feedback in person, through feedback/review forms, via email or by telephone.

10.4: What arrangements does the school have for feedback from parents, including compliments and complaints?

Procedures for complaints are outlined within the school’s General Complaints policy which is available from the school office or on the school website.

School Admissions and Policy Documents

11.1: School admission arrangements for children with special educational needs and disabilities

School admission arrangements

Admissions to Aldryngton are managed by Wokingham Borough Council.

School Admission Link
Aldryngton Primary School

11.2: School Accessibility Plan

11.3: Special Education Needs Policy

Data last checked: 18/06/2018
Is there anything wrong with this page?

Wokingham Services Directory Disclaimer

The Service Directory includes information and links to third party internet websites which are controlled and maintained by others, information is provided solely for guidance and does not constitute any endorsement. Wokingham Borough Council is not responsible for the accuracy of the information on the directories and information is not provided as a recommendation of suitability or quality of service.