Local Offer Description
I am a childminder and I run by business from my own home.
Local Offer last reviewed 03/08/2016
1. How does the childminder identify children with additional needs or SEND ?
All children in my care are monitored and observed in line with the EYFS, and this is recorded in their learning journals. A yearly progress check is carried out and shared with parents/ HV and any concerns regarding development will be discussed.
The needs of all new children are assessed / identified through discussion with parents and completion of a short questionnaire thus enabling starting points to be set.
I also have an additional needs policy
2. How will I be informed / included about the ways in which my child is being supported ?
Parents are kept up to date with their child’s progress and development though a EYFS Journal that is in their bag so is always with the child at mine and at the parents' home.
The yearly progress check is completed following discussion with parents and any concerns discussed and if necessary an agreed plan of action put in place
I will liaise with the parents concerned directly (face to face, text, phone, journal or email) in the way they wish.
3. How will the childminder adapt the Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum for my child?s needs ?
I always treat each child as an individual so all activities will be set at the right level for every child regardless of an identified additional need or not.
4. What additional support does the childminder provide for children with additional needs or SEND ?
As a childminder my ratios are always low so have plenty of time to provide a child with any extra help they need. I would also liaise with the early years team about additional equipment I may require or any extra training that would help me provide a more inclusive environment. Requirements will be discussed with parents and professionals involved in the child's care. If the child is old enough, they will also be involved in plans for their care.
5. How will the childminder monitor my child?s progress and how will I be involved in this ?
Observations are carried out regularly and recorded in the journal where parents can also comment in writing or discuss with me any queries/anxieties they have about their child's development.
The yearly progress report would highlight any developmental delays and can therefore be done more regularly if required.
Action plans will be devised using these and feedback from parents. Meetings will be held with parents to share ideas on activities to extend their child’s individual interests to support their learning.
Meetings will also be held, with consent from parents, with any other setting that the child may attend so that everyone is working together
6. How does the childminder ensure children with additional needs or SEND can be included in the same activities as other children, including trips ?
I would ensure I have the correct equipment to ensure that a child with additional needs can be included in all the same activities/outings as all children in my care
7. How accessible is the childminder?s home for children with mobility difficulties / wheelchair users ?
The doorways in my home are not wide enough for a wheelchair.
Depending on a child's mobility needs, would determine as to whether my home would be accessible.
8. How will the childminder contribute to my child?s transition to a new setting or school ?
I would liaise with the new setting/school to ensure the transition is a smooth as possible
9. How does the childminder assess the overall effectiveness of its SEN provision and how can parents / carers take part in this evaluation ?
I monitor progress of the children via the journal and yearly progress assessments. I will access additional training if needed. I will discuss what we are providing and how with parents on an ongoing basis, to ensure the best outcome for the child.
10. What should I do if I am considering registering for a place with this childminder ?
Contact me directly to discuss what I can offer you.
11. What arrangements does the childminder have for feedback from parents / carers, including compliments and complaints ?
I have a complaints policy.