Preparing for Adulthood Team (part of adult social care)
We are a growing team, with different specialities, who work with young people aged 14-25 to transition them in to Adult Social Care and, in some cases, look at further needs like transport, education and health. We accept referrals from a range of different sources including schools, parents and healthcare workers.
To be eligible for support from the Preparing for Adulthood Team, you must meet at least 2 of the support needs from the Care Act 2014. Visit the UK legislation website for the care and support eligibility criteria.
We will usually carry out an assessment (which we refer to as a Self-Directed Assessment) when we receive referrals to check needs and eligibility.
We are focussed on promoting independence as much as possible for the young people who sit within our team and here is an example of some of the work the Preparing for Adulthood Team might do with a young person:
- Look at transport needs for getting to and from training, work or education and offer travel training options where appropriate
- Help to find groups or activities through our local offer page which might interest the young person
- Check health needs and what other services may be beneficial to the young person
- Liaise with parents and school/workplace to ensure smooth transition from one school or placement to the next
- If appropriate, look at technology-based support aids to promote independence
- Refer on to our award winning supported employment service for further help with job pathways such as volunteering or writing CV’s
- Offer advice, support and guidance for the young person’s future choices such as looking at housing options
Further information on moving from children's social care services to adult social care services can be found on our transitioning to adulthood social care web page.
- Preparing for adulthood section of the Local Offer
- Scan to visit this website
- 0118 974 6832 0118 974 6832
Costs and Fee Information
- Service/Activity is Free
- Supporting people with
Children with Additional Needs
Learning and Communication
Autism Spectrum Conditions
Other long term conditions
Local Offer - Support available for children and young people with additional needs
Data last checked: