Hillside Primary School

School logo

Hillside Primary School is a state maintained, two form entry school, located in a semi urban environment. It currently accommodates 465 pupils from the age of 3.5 to 11 years and 60 staff members. The school completed an extensive rebuild from the Primary Capital Grant in 2011 which has drastically improved the facilities available. The school now benefits from a purpose built Foundation Stage Unit, classrooms built to comfortably accommodate larger classes, a Sensory Room and a Multi-Use Games Area.

Contact information

Hillside Primary School
Scan to visit this website
Contact Name
Mrs Nicci Morris
Contact Position
Head Teacher
0118 975 5771 0118 975 5771
Social Media


Hillside Primary School
Rushey Way
Lower Earley
View RG6 4HQ on a map

Accessing this service

Type of School
Age Ranges
4 yrs - 11 yrs
Local Offer

Local Offer - Support available for children and young people with additional needs

Local Offer Description

Local Offer last reviewed 14/09/2022

Identification of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) 1.1: How does the school identify children/young people with special educational needs and disabilities?
  • On-going observations are completed by school staff and recorded and shared with the Inclusion Manager through our Pupil Awareness system
  • Consultations with parents where knowledge about their child is shared
  • During Half Termly Progress Meetings, an analysis of each individual’s attainment and progress is completed and an action plan put in place where necessary
  • Information provided by the previous school/setting
  • External agency reports
  • Results of standardised tests completed in class are monitored and analysed
1.2: What should I do if I think my child has SEND?

Arrange an appointment to speak with your child’s class teacher or key person. With your permission, the information will then be passed to the Inclusion Manager. This will either result in either a discussion of strategies between the class teacher and Inclusion Manager or a more detailed meeting with the Inclusion Manager, class teacher and parents.

Support for children with special educational needs 2.1: If my child is identified as having SEND, who will oversee and plan their education programme?

The class teacher will use recommendations from professionals to plan and oversee your child’s Education Programme. This provision is then monitored by the Inclusion Manager.

2.2: How will I be informed / consulted about the ways in which my child is being supported?
  • Termly Parent Consultation Evenings
  • Annual Reports
  • Sharing SEND targets through an Individual Learning and Provision Plan or a Pupil Profile, depending on the level of need
  • Annual Reviews if your child has an EHCP
  • Additional meetings with the class teacher/ Inclusion Manager if required
  • Review meetings with external agencies if they are involved
2.3: How will the school balance my child's need for support with developing their independence?

The level of support for independence will be considered on an individual basis. All children are supported to be independent with appropriate resources and strategies, where necessary, to enable the child to be successful.

2.4: How will the school match / differentiate the curriculum for my child's needs?

The curriculum will be differentiated based on each individual’s needs, with an appropriate level of scaffolding provided to help support each pupil. This takes into account recommendations from external agencies, teacher assessments and observations from lessons and interventions.

2.5: What teaching strategies does the school use for children with learning difficulties, including autistic spectrum disorder, hearing impairment, visual impairment, speech and language difficulties?

Hillside aims to deliver the curriculum in completely inclusive environments. In addition to the normal class room teaching strategies, teachers may include specific recommendations from external agencies or those researched to be beneficial for specific conditions that they believe to be appropriate for the individual child.

These strategies may include:

  • Multi- sensory approaches
  • Visual prompts/timetables (A visual reminder of each section of the day)
  • Individual work stations
  • ‘First, then’ charts (Eg, First reading, Then computer time)
  • Personalised Reward Systems
  • Sensory Learning Breaks
  • Learning Breaks (A break from the classroom which carries a purpose, a walk around the school counting how many doors there are or finding right angles etc)
  • Scaffolded work (Using a variety of scaffolding techniques such as writing frames or word banks to allow the pupil to complete the task at their own level independently)
2.6: What additional staffing does the school provide from its own budget for children with SEND?
  • Team or class based Learning Mentors who support groups of children in class and/or intervention work
  • Learning Mentors to support Structured Lunch Programmes
  • Inclusion Manager to oversee SEND provision in school
  • Senior Family Liaison worker to help support families of children with SEND
2.7: What specific intervention programmes does the school offer to children with SEND and are these delivered on a one to one basis or in small groups?
Type / TitleIntervention Type
2.8: What resources and equipment does the school provide for children with SEND?

This will vary for each child but we aim to provide resources as each child’s SEND requires. Any resources and equipment that a child needs will usually be considered based upon the recommendations from specialist services.

  • Currently we have the following:
  • Sloping Desks
  • Concentration toys (fiddle toys)
  • A variety of pencil grips
  • Coloured overlays
  • Reading rulers
  • Resources in the Sensory Room to meet basic Occupational Therapy Programmes.
2.9: What special arrangements can be made for my child when taking examinations?

If required, special arrangements for examinations are dictated through the Standards and Testing Agency.

My child's progress 3.1: How will the school monitor my child's progress and how will I be involved in this?
  • On-going teacher assessment
  • Half termly progress meetings with class teachers and Senior Leaders in school focusing on attainment and progress
  • Parent Consultation Evenings
  • Annual Reviews if your child has an EHCP
  • Progress with SEND targets - Involvement through parent contribution
  • Standardised testing in class
3.2: When my child's progress is being reviewed, how will new targets be set and how will I be involved?

Targets are reviewed regularly from the gaps in your child's assessment grids and/or based on any other difficulties displayed which hinder their ability to access the curriculum.  These targets and goals are shared with parents via the child's Individual Learning and Provision Plan, Pupil Profile, or through their Positive Behaviour Plan.

Children who have an EHCP have annual targets presented in the form of a yearly Action Plan which are reviewed in their Annual Review meeting.

3.3: ln addition to the school's normal reporting arrangements, what opportunities will there be for me to discuss my child's progress with school staff?

Class teachers and the Inclusion Manager are happy to arrange meetings to discuss progress at a mutually convenient time.

3.4: What arrangements does the school have for regular home to school contact?
  • Regular meetings
  • General information can be found on our school website
  • Parents can access our family centre for activities and additional information
  • Some of our families are supported by our Inclusion Team 
  • Senior Family Liaison Officer can work with families who need support and information
3.5: How can I help support my child's learning?
  • Home Learning activities
  • Reading at least 5 times weekly with your child
  • Prior Learning vocabulary discussed at home
  • Medium Terms Plans are sent home to explain what your child will be learning to allow you to help prepare your child for the topics
  • Following recommendations from Parent Consultation Evenings
3.6: Does the school offer any help for parents / carers to enable them to support their child's learning, eg. training or learning events?

Hillside offer teacher led workshops for a variety of subjects and topics. When appropriate, we can also direct you to specific training courses run by external agencies.

3.7: How will my child's views be sought about the help they are getting and the progress they are making?

Pupils with an EHCP complete a questionnaire in preparation for their Annual Review.

Each child’s end of year report includes an opportunity for them to write a comment on their learning that year.

Pupil questionnaires are handed out to give the children an opportunity to comment on their progress, learning style and preferred learning environment. This is then shared with teachers and, when appropriate, teaching style is adjusted accordingly.


3.8: What accredited and non accredited courses do you offer for young people with SEND?

All our children follow the Foundation/National Curriculum at the level appropriate for them.

3.9: How does the school assess the overall effectiveness of its SEN provision and how can parents / carers and young people take part in this evaluation?

If involved with your child, external agencies may review objectives set and progress made towards these.

Attainment and progress is monitored in half termly progress meetings.

The impact of interventions are measured both quantitatively and qualitatively.

SEN is monitored by the Senior Leadership Team and the SEND link Governor who then reports to the Full Governing Body.

We reflect on Local Authority advice.

Children are made aware of their own learning and next steps.

Collaborative work on SEND provision and outcomes with local schools, including peer moderation.

Regular meetings betwen school, external agencies and parents/carers to review and plan next steps.

Support for my child's overall well being 4.1: What support is available to promote the emotional and social development of children with SEND?

If required:

  • Communication and Social Intervention 1:1
  • Communication and Social Intervention Groups
  • 1:1 Talk time with adults where necessary
  • Lunch time staff understand the needs of pupils
  • Pupil buddy system
  • Quiet Lunch Club
  • Structured Lunch Club
4.2: What support does the school put in place for children who find it difficult to conform to normal behavioural expectations and how do you support children to avoid exclusion?

For pupils who are at risk of exclusion, Hillside may provide:

  • A structured lunch programme
  • Sensory Learning breaks during lessons
  • Personal work stations
  • Positive Behaviour Support Plans
  • Pastoral Support Plans
  • Clear boundaries
  • Small steps targets
  • Reflection time
  • Personalised work programme
4.3: What medical support is available in the school for children with SEND?

Medical Care and In Class Assist plans are in place for specific children who require them.

4.4: How does the school manage the administration of medicines?

The school administers medication for pupils with conditions that seriously impact their well- being and/or health during the school day.

4.5: How does the school provide help with personal care where this is needed, eg. help with toileting, eating etc?

If needed, the school assists children with personal care and follows the Intimate Care Policy which can be found on our school website.

Specialist services and expertise available at or accessed by the school 5.1: What SEN support services does the school use, eg. specialist support teachers, educational psychologists, teachers for hearing impairment and visual impairment, ASD advisory teachers, behaviour support teachers etc?

Where required Hillside work with all of the above services for specific children, plus:

  • Doctors
  • Occupational Therapists
  • Physiotherapists
  • Speech and Language Therapists
5.2: What should I do if I think my child needs support from one of these services?

Speak to your child’s class teacher or Inclusion Manager who will advise next steps and make referrals as appropriate.

5.3: How are speech and language therapy, occupational therapy and physiotherapy services provided?

School staff follow the programmes provided by Speech and Language Therapists, Occupational Therapists and Physiotherapists as part of a child’s weekly intervention programmes.

In some cases, a Speech and Language Therapist, Occupational Therapist or Physiotherapist may come into school to assess the child and review their targets.

5.4: What should I do if I think my child needs to be seen by a speech and language therapist, occupational therapist or physiotherapist?

Your GP or Hillside’s Inclusion Manager can make a referral should you wish to request one.

If your child is under 5, Speech and Language drop in sessions are available at the local Children’s Centres - speak to your Health Visitor for advice and details.

5.5: What arrangements does the school have for liaison with Children's Social Care services?

The Headteacher is the Designated Safeguarding Lead and Child Protection Officer for the school.

The Deputy Headteacher is the Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead.

We have a dedicated Family Support Worker, who works in close partnership with Children’s Social Care and can support families to access these services if required.

Safeguarding training for ALL staff.

Training of school staff in SEND 6.1: What SEND training is provided for teachers in your school?

The Inclusion Manager and other teachers attend training on SEND and then share information with the rest of the staff through staff INSETs.

Opportunities for staff training from External Professionals.

Opportunities for training from external providers.

6.2: What SEND training is provided for teaching assistants and other staff in your school?

On-going, in school training depending on the current need in the school.

Opportunities for staff training from External Professionals.

Opportunities for training from external providers.

6.3: Do teachers have any specific qualifications in SEND?

The Inclusion Manager is a qualified teacher and holds the National Award for SENCo (NASENCO).

6.4: Do teaching assistants have any specific qualifications in SEND?

Currently one Teaching Assistant has achieved a qualification in supporting children with Dyslexia.

Many of our Teaching Assistants have completed vocational qualifications in both Education and SEND related areas.

Activities outside the classroom including school trips 7.1: How do you ensure children with SEND can be included in out of school activities and trips?

We aim to include all children in out of school activities and trips. We will discuss the trip with parents beforehand, identify likely areas of difficulties and discuss concerns, complete risk assessments in line with the Local Authority guidelines and together make a plan.

1:1 support may be provided depending on the level of need identified through the risk assessment.

In exceptional circumstances, the school reserves the right to exclude individual children from school activities/trips. This will be the case when the risk assessment of their individual needs or behaviour concludes that to include them would present a danger to themselves or others or undermine the educational purpose of the trip for other pupils.

7.2: How do you involve parents / carers in planning the support required for their child to access activities and trips?

Meetings would be held prior to the trip to discuss requirements and a risk assessment will be completed. The school may also take advice from the trip venue in regards to facilities and accessibility.

Where necessary, a child can be prepared for the trip through social stories, photos and by visiting the venue’s website if possible.

Accessibility of the school environment 8.1: How accessible is the building for children with mobility difficulties / wheelchair users?

Hillside is built on one level and all areas are accessible for wheelchair users. There is a disabled parking space closest to the front door and a drop down kerb.

8.2: Have adaptations / improvements been made to the auditory and visual environment?

Adaptations have been made on recommendations from external agencies to suit individual need.

8.3: Are there accessible changing and toilet facilities?

There are multiple accessible changing and toilet facilities at Hillside.

8.4: How do you ensure that all the school's facilities can be accessed by children with SEND?

The school has been built with accessibility in mind for both children and adults. Where modifications are required the school will aim to plan for these.

8.5: How does the school communicate with parents / carers who have a disability?

See previous methods of communication to parents.

In addition, consultations will be arranged to find out what would be the most effective method of communication.

8.6: How does the school communicate with parents / carers whose first language is not English?

See previous methods of communication to parents.

In addition, every effort would be made to source someone who could effectively translate discussions for the parents.

Preparing my child to join the school or to transfer to a new school or the next stage of education and life 9.1: What preparation will there be for both the school and my child before he or she joins the school?

If required;

  • If in Foundation Stage, home visits may be arranged with staff
  • Planned transition into the school including transition meetings and phone consultations where necessary.
  • Meetings with parents
  • Wherever possible, meetings or discussions with external agencies already involved.
  • Wherever possible, meetings, discussions and visits with the previous settings
  • Transition booklets
9.2: How will my child be prepared to move on to the next stage within school, e.g. class or key stage?

If required;

  • Two meet the teacher days with additional trips to the classroom/ to meet the teacher if necessary
  • A photo transition book to take home over the summer holidays
  • Transition meetings held between the current and new teacher to discuss provision, progress, needs etc.
  • Transition meetings for Learning Mentors who will be working in your child’s year group to read appropriate documentation to understand your child’s needs
9.3: How will my child be prepared to move on to his or her next school?

If required;

  • Additional visits to the school. Where appropriate, the child could be accompanied by a teaching assistant so follow up transition work could be completed back at Hillside before they leave
  • Year 6 pupils often complete transition projects/days
9.4: How will you support a new school to prepare for my child?
  • We would invite the appropriate staff into school to visit your child and arrange for them to meet the relevant staff members
  • We would share successful strategies and, if applicable, Positive Behaviour Management Plans
  • Organise transition meetings to talk in more detail about the child’s needs
  • For year 6 transition to secondary school, it is highly likely that your child would attend additional visits to the school and the year 6 teachers would complete a more detailed hand over
9.5: What information will be provided to my child's new school?

All SEN records will be sent to the new school. These may include: ILPPs or pupil profiles, annual reviews if applicable, intervention records, diagnostic assessments, professional reports, and review meeting notes.

9.6: How will the school prepare my child for the transition to further education or employment?


Who can I contact to discuss my child ? 10.1: Who would be my first point of contact if I want to discuss something about my child or if I am worried?
  1. Class teacher
  2. Inclusion Manager
  3. Manager of Phase
  4. Member of the Senior Leadership Team
10.2: Does the school offer any specific support for parents / carers and families (such as Family Support Workers?)

Hillside has a supportive Inclusion Team, and a Family Centre.  Hillside also has a dedicated Senior Family Liaison worker who is available to support families.

10.3: What arrangements does the school have for signposting parents / carers to external agencies which can offer support, such as voluntary agencies?

Many staff members at Hillside, including our Inclusion Manager and Senior Familiy Liaison worker, can signpost parents to appropriate external services and voluntary agencies who can often offer workshops, information, courses and events.

Hillside operates within a cluster of local schools and some workshops and events are offered to parents and carers across the cluster.

10.4: What arrangements does the school have for feedback from parents, including compliments and complaints?

An annual questionnaire is given to parents to complete to offer feedback to the school.


School Admissions and Policy Documents

11.1: School admission arrangements for children with special educational needs and disabilities

School admission arrangements

All children follow Wokingham's admission procedures.

Pupils with an Education, Health and Care Plan can apply through their Local Authority, requesting Hillside to be named on their plan and Hillside then follows the procedural process for this.

School Admission Link
Wokingham Borough Council - School Admissions

11.2: School Accessibility Plan

Accessibility Plan Link
School Policies
Accessibility Plan Document
Accessibility Policy (PDF)

11.3: Special Education Needs Policy

SEN Policy Link
School Policies

Last Update

Data last checked:

Is there anything wrong with this page?
Happy face Neutral face Sad face
Skip back to top of page