The ASSIST team (Autism Spectrum Service for Information, Support & Training) is part of the Children with Disabiities Interventions Service at Wokingham Borough Council Children's Directorate based at The Woodley Airfield Centre.
The team work in a proactive, supportive and preventative way with families and providers so that children and young people living in the Wokingham Borough who are on the autism spectrum can be the best they can be.
The approach to intervention is holistic, creative and directed by the needs of the individual and those around him or her. The service provides information, support and training, especially supporting families pre and post diagnosis.
A key factor for the service is to build capacity – always looking at ways to work with many, sharing knowledge, skills and understanding of autism.
The service can provide:
- Information, support, advice and signposting to other services
- Opportunities to meet with the ASSIST team to discuss strategies – contact the team for dates of monthly drop in sessions held at Woodley Airfield
- Support for famiies & schools where there is crisis -See description of Service
- Support to leisure providers to include children with autism
- Consultation support to professionals to look at issues and solutions
- National Autistic Society EarlyBird, EarlyBird Plus and Teen Life parent programmes (overseen by NAS and managed locally by the ASSIST team) -
- A variety of autism specific workshops
Contact the team to find out more details and when the next programmes and workshops are running.
For further details of our service please view our service description (PDF)
Transition toolkit – generated by a group of parents and practitioners, the toolkit aims to help and support the planning of a move from one setting to another. Each transition will be unique to the child, and the toolkit promotes (as an example) best practice guidance. It includes appropriate actions for parents and carers, and the professionals involved in the current setting and the new setting.
- Service provided by Wokingham Borough Council