The Learning Support Service (LSS) is a team of specialist teachers with additional qualifications and experience in working with children with difficulties in literacy and numeracy. We are able to offer advice and support to schools and to develop individual programmes of learning for children with literacy or numeracy difficulties. In some cases we can also offer individual assessment, intervention and monitoring.
Aims of the service
The aim of the service is to raise the achievement of the children and young people who attend primary schools Wokingham Borough who have special educational needs relating to literacy and numeracy.
What we do
The Learning Support Service is an advisory service available to mainstream primary schools in Wokingham. The service provides advice, training, guidance and support to schools, working in partnership with staff. In particular, the team works closely with school SENCOs, to support the development of SEN provision within the school. The focus is around staff development and promoting positive outcomes for pupils.
The work can include:
- Regular visits to support the SENCO in identifying development of SEN provision and practice in their school relating to literacy and numeracy skills
- Training- for SENCOs, teachers and teaching assistants to reduce the barriers to learning and providing inclusive mainstream strategies
- Observation – of pupils to identify strengths and difficulties in relation to literacy and numeracy
- Literacy and Numeracy Assessments where the development and acquisition of literacy and /or numeracy are concerns.
- Involvement in multi-professional meetings and ‘surgeries’
- Support for parents
Monitoring and evaluation of service
Each term, we review with schools the support given to each child and we will modify programmes as appropriate.
We monitor the quality of the service through annual parent questionnaires.
Children’s progress is monitored by further observation and feedback to parents and schools.
The quality of the service provided to schools is monitored by an end of year questionnaire.
Training is evaluated as a matter of course after each input.
- Service provided by Wokingham Borough Council