ASD Family Help: offers support, advice and activities for individuals on the autistic spectrum and/or other learning disabilities
We are a 'User Led' independent and voluntary group that offers support, advice and activities for individuals on the autistic spectrum and/or other learning disabilities, their parents, carers or professionals within Wokingham & West Berkshire.
We have family liaison workers who can offer free advice, support and help with DLA/PIP/ESA forms.
We aim to help improve services for children and adults with ASD, their parents, carers & professionals, through raising awareness of ASD by providing (subject to funding):
- Support to parents/carers through regular drop in sessions and coffee mornings
- Free advice and information through email, face-to-face and our website
- Social activities for autistic children and young people
- Social activities for autistic adults
- Social activities for families
- Training across the Borough
- Life and relationships skills for teens
- Employability training for autistic adults
- Employment to autistic adults
- Social activities to include siblings and young carers
Our events are open to all affected by autism or associated conditions (eg. Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, OCD, Anxiety, PDA, ADHD etc)
Some events are age specific and some must be booked in advance. Please see individual events for full details.
NB: For most child sessions we are unable to book new children onto a session, without them first attending a sign up session with a parent. This allows the child to meet some of our staff, see one of our venues and assess whether we are able to meet your child's needs. The sign up sessions take place ONCE a month. (For more information about our sign up sessions, please look at our Family Fun Session activity).
For family or child/teen sessions, please contact Rachael@asdfamilyhelp.org
For adult support or sessions, please contact Jayne@asdfamilyhelp.org
For DLA/PIP support appointments, please contact Naomi@asdfamilyhelp.org
- ASD Family Help
- Scan to visit this website
- Contact Name
- Rachael Chandler or Jayne McGovern
- Contact Position
- Children & Families Manager and Adult Support Manager
- 07733 601755 07733 601755
- Social Media
Wokingham & West Berkshire
- View RG41 on a map
We use a variety of venues across Wokingham & West Berkshire and ensure that all venues we book are wheelchair accessible.
When is it On/Open ?
- Date & Time Information
We run a variety of actitivties, sessions, training and one to one support.
Please refer to our individual event listings for details or contact our staff for enquiries.
Costs and Fee Information
- Help with funding is available
- Funding Notes
This year we are grateful to receive funding from:
- BBC Children in Need
- Wokingham Borough Council
- Berkshire Community Foundation
- Wokingham United Charities
- The Blagrave Trust
- West Berkshire Council
- Lottery Community Fund
This funding allows us to make every activity affordable or in some cases free to our families.
- How is the service funded
Facilities and Accessibility
- Contact Name
- Cathy Roberts
- Complaints procedure notes
If your complaint is regarding any children or family activity please email Rachael@asdfamilyhelp.org
If your complaint is regarding the parent drop in session, adult activities or family support, please email Jayne@asdfamilyhelp.org
You may also email Cathy@asdfamilyhelp.org
Accessing this service
- Age Ranges
- All ages
- Eligibility Criteria
We do NOT require you to have a formal diagnosis or a referral to access our services/activities.
Our events are open to all autistic individuals or those with associated conditions (eg. Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, OCD, Anxiety, PDA, ADHD etc)
- Booking / Registration Required
- Booking and Registration Notes
Booking required for child sessions via Rachael@asdfamilyhelp.org
Booking required for adult sessions via Jayne@asdfamilyhelp.org
Booking required for DLA/PIP support appointments via Naomi@asdfamilyhelp.org
We also run drop-in sessions that do not require booking - please look at our other activity listings for full details.
- Referral not required
- Supporting people with
Children with Additional Needs
Autism Spectrum Conditions
- Registered Charity No.
All staff and volunteers at sessions receive in-house training from ASD Family Help regarding autism awareness and safeguarding.
All staff and volunteers at sessions have enhanced DBS checks.
ASD Family Help holds its own public liability insurance.
At activities where staff are solely responsible for children, at least one member of staff will hold a paediatric first aid certificate.
Local Offer - Support available for children and young people with additional needs
We provide a variety of activities for children and young people with additional needs.
Currently we provide the following:
- Teen Club for young people aged 12 - 18 years (monthly)
- Martial Arts (weekly)
- Teen Life courses for young people (usually once per year)
- Family craft sessions (once per half-term)
- Adult social group for autistic adults over 18 years old (once per month)
- Contact Name
- Rachael Chandler
- Contact Email
Data last checked: