ASD Family Help
We are a 'User Led' independent and voluntary group that offers support, advice and activities for individuals on the autistic spectrum and/or other learning disabilities, their parents, carers or professionals within Wokingham & West Berkshire.
We have family liaison workers who can offer free advice, support and help with DLA/PIP/ESA forms.
We aim to help improve services for children and adults with ASD, their parents, carers & professionals, through raising awareness of ASD by providing (subject to funding):
- Support to parents/carers through regular drop in sessions and coffee mornings
- Free advice and information through email, face-to-face and our website
- Social activities for autistic children and young people
- Social activities for autistic adults
- Social activities for families
- Training across the Borough
- Life and relationships skills for teens
- Employability training for autistic adults
- Employment to autistic adults
- Social activities to include siblings and young carers
Our events are open to all affected by autism or associated conditions (eg. Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, OCD, Anxiety, PDA, ADHD etc)
Some events are age specific and some must be booked in advance. Please see individual events for full details.
NB: For most child sessions we are unable to book new children onto a session, without them first attending a sign up session with a parent. This allows the child to meet some of our staff, see one of our venues and assess whether we are able to meet your child's needs. The sign up sessions take place ONCE a month. (For more information about our sign up sessions, please look at our Family Fun Session activity).
For family or child/teen sessions, please contact Rachael@asdfamilyhelp.org
For adult support or sessions, please contact Jayne@asdfamilyhelp.org
For DLA/PIP support appointments, please contact Theresa@asdfamilyhelp.org
- ASD Family Help
- Scan to visit this website
- Contact Name
- Rachael Chandler or Jayne McGovern
- Contact Position
- 07733 601755 07733 601755 07542 766953 07542 766953
- Social Media
Wokingham & West Berkshire
- View RG41 on a map
When is it On/Open ?
- Date & Time Information
We run a variety of actitivties, sessions, training and one to one support.
Please refer to our individual event listings for details or contact our staff for enquiries.
Costs and Fee Information
- Contact provider for costs
- Help with funding is available
- Funding Notes
This year we are grateful to receive funding from:
- BBC Children in Need
- Wokingham Borough Council
- Berkshire Community Foundation
- Wokingham United Charities
- People's Health Trust
- Big Lottery Fund
- The Rank Foundation
- The Henry Smith Charity
This funding allows us to make every activity affordable or in some cases free to our families.
- How is the service funded
Facilities and Accessibility
Accessing this service
- Age Ranges
- All ages
- Eligibility Criteria
We do not require you to have a formal diagnosis or a referral to access our services/activities.
Our events are open to all affected by ASD or associated conditions (eg. Dyslexia, dyspraxia, OCD, Anxiety, PDA, ADHD etc)
- Booking / Registration Required
- Booking and Registration Notes
Booking required for child sessions via Rachael@asdfamilyhelp.org
Booking required for adult sessions via Jayne@asdfamilyhelp.org
Booking required for DLA/PIP support appointments via Theresa@asdfamilyhelp.org
We also run drop-in sessions that do not require booking - please look at our other activity listings for full details.
- Waiting List
- We currently run a waiting list for our Friday Martial arts, Monday martial arts & Teen Club.
- Referral not required
- Supporting people with
Children with Additional Needs
Autism Spectrum Conditions
- Registered Charity No.
All staff and volunteers at sessions receive in-house training from ASD Family Help regarding autism awareness and safeguarding.
All staff and volunteers at sessions have enhanced DBS checks.
ASD Family Help holds its own public liability insurance.
At activities where staff are solely responsible for children, at least one member of staff will hold a paediatric first aid certificate.
Our Martial Arts sessions are run by a qualified Taijutsu instructor togtether with ASD staff/volunteers. The instructor has appropriate public liability insurance, enhanced DBS check, first aid certification and safeguarding training (in addition to attending our ASD Family Help internal training).
Local Offer - Support available for children and young people with additional needs
Data last checked: