Hawkedon Primary School

Hawkedon is a large state maintained primary school situated in Lower Earley, a suburban area with excellent amenities. We have strong links with the local community and a recent building expansion has extended the school to three form entry throughout.

There are currently 630 children on roll. In addition to our Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) we have a Foundation Stage Partnership with private provider (Earleybird Pre-School).

There is a fully supportive PTA who fund projects throughout the school to enhance teaching and learning.

At Hawkedon our school motto is “Creating Condident, Lifelong Learners”. This reflects our aim to work together with all our children and their families in order to achieve the best outcomes for each individual.

Contact information

Hawkedon Primary School
Scan to visit this website
Contact Name
Mr Gareth O'Shea
Contact Position
Head Teacher
0118 966 7444 0118 966 7444


Hawkedon Primary School
Hawkedon Way
Lower Earley
View RG6 3AP on a map

Accessing this service

Type of School
Age Ranges
4 yrs - 11 yrs
Local Offer

Local Offer - Support available for children and young people with additional needs

Local Offer Description

Local Offer last reviewed 01/07/2021

Identification of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) 1.1: How does the school identify children/young people with special educational needs and disabilities?

At Hawkedon children are identified through a combination of discussion with parents, teachers and external professionals. In some cases advice is received through contact with a child’s previous setting. Children are also identified through regular assessment, standardised screening tests. Progress of all children is regularly monitored and this is used to identify those children who are not making or maintaining expected progress. 

1.2: What should I do if I think my child has SEND?

Parents should in the first instance speak to the class teacher, it may be recommended that a meeting with the school SENCo or Inclusion Manager would be beneficial, and this can be arranged with the parents permission. Strategies, provision and potential nexts steps can then be discussed.

Support for children with special educational needs 2.1: If my child is identified as having SEND, who will oversee and plan their education programme?

It is the Class teacher’s responsibility to plan and oversee the education programme of all children in their class in accordance with the school’s curriculum, however there will be input the Inclusion Manager, SENCo and/or other appropriate agencies e.g. Speech and Language Therapy (SALT).

2.2: How will I be informed / consulted about the ways in which my child is being supported?

Parents are informed of their child’s progress through parent consultation evenings with Class Teachers, SEN reviews and end of year report. Parents of some children may also be invited to review progress with the Inclusion Manager/SENCo at additional points during the year. 

2.3: How will the school balance my child's need for support with developing their independence?

At Hawkedon we aim to develop every child into an independent learner. In order to achieve this goal, some children may receive additional 1:1 in class support, some will receive support in small groups and some may receive a combination of both. This will be decided on an individual pupil basis according to the assessed need.

All children are expected to work with a degree of independance according to their age, ability and stage of development. Some children may receive a package of interventions designed to develop their independent working skills.

2.4: How will the school match / differentiate the curriculum for my child's needs?

Differentiation is part of normal classroom practice. Children with identified SEND will have planned work to match their individual needs. Teachers will ensure that an inclusive approach to differentiation is adopted. 

2.5: What teaching strategies does the school use for children with learning difficulties, including autistic spectrum disorder, hearing impairment, visual impairment, speech and language difficulties?

In addition to normal classroom teaching practices, the school follows/ implements programmes and recommendations from other professional agencies e.g. SALT, Educational Psychologist


Some of these strategies include

  • Personal visual timetables 
  • Time warnings e.g. " 5mins until... 3 mins until.... 1 min until...now it is time for..."
  • Sensory rooms with sensory toys
  • ‘First, then’ cards (Eg, First reading, Then active time)
  • Personal Reward Charts
  • Sensory breaks / sensory circuits
  • Learning Breaks 
  • Persoanlised work areas
  • Active Kids
  • Calm corners
  • Communication cards
2.6: What additional staffing does the school provide from its own budget for children with SEND?

The school employs a significant number of Learning Support Assistants (LSAs), many of whom have specialist training and skills (e.g. Nurture Assistants) to work alongside identified children who require additional support  either in class as part of a group and/or as part of a group intervention outside the classroom. There is a qualified Inclusion Manager who advises class teachers and support staff about targets, classroom support and interventions.

2.7: What specific intervention programmes does the school offer to children with SEND and are these delivered on a one to one basis or in small groups?
Type / TitleIntervention Type
2.8: What resources and equipment does the school provide for children with SEND?

Individual specialist equipment is sometimes accessed through the outside agency involved with a child’s care e.g. specially adapted chairs through Occupational Therapy (OT). Smaller and more frequently used equipment e.g. Visual timetables, left handed scissors, writing slopes, concentrators, talking tins and sensory feedback cushions are provided by school for children who need them.

At Hawkedon we have 2 Nurture rooms which are available for timetabled sessions for children identified as needing support. The Nurture rooms are resourced with sensory equipment which are used with those pupils identified as requiring specific sensory input. They can also be used for talking and play therapies. These rooms are available for ‘emotional first aid’.

2.9: What special arrangements can be made for my child when taking examinations?

Support for children with SEND during formal examinations (Y2 and Y6) is regulated by the Standards and Testing Agency.

My child's progress 3.1: How will the school monitor my child's progress and how will I be involved in this?

Progress of all children, including those with SEND, is monitored termly by the Class Teacher and the Inclusion Manager/SENCo. This may involve the use of standardised tests. Parents are informed of their child’s progress termly in line with the rest of the school and at any additional meetings identified in section 2.2.

3.2: When my child's progress is being reviewed, how will new targets be set and how will I be involved?

Class teachers, supported by the Inclusion Manager and SENCo, are responsible for setting individual pupil targets and for communicating them to pupils and parents. Parents are informed at the meetings identified in section 2.2.

Children who have a EHCP have annual targets presented in the form of a yearly Action Plan which are reviewed in their Annual Review meeting.

3.3: ln addition to the school's normal reporting arrangements, what opportunities will there be for me to discuss my child's progress with school staff?

Parents who would like an additional meeting to discuss their child’s progress are welcome make an appointment via the school office to see the Class teacher and or Inclusion Manager/SENCo.

3.4: What arrangements does the school have for regular home to school contact?

Where appropriate a home/school link book may be used.

The class teacher and Inclusion Manager can be contacted by telephone or email via the school office.

3.5: How can I help support my child's learning?
  • Regular reading/phonics practise
  • Completing weekly home learning tasks appropriate to each year group.
  • Number fact/times table practise.
  • Positive engagement with professionals when involved.
  • Workshops are sometimes available to support areas of the curriculum such as reading, writing, and mathematics and e-safety.
  • By following programmes set by external agencies e.g. SALT
3.6: Does the school offer any help for parents / carers to enable them to support their child's learning, eg. training or learning events?

Hawkedon offer teacher led workshops for a variety of subjects and topics. When appropriate, we can also direct you to specific training courses run by external agencies.

3.7: How will my child's views be sought about the help they are getting and the progress they are making?

Children with EHC plans or statements have an opportunity to express their views at Annual Review. We value children’s views and actively involve all children in the running of the school through School Council and pupil interviews and surveys. Children are often included in the target setting process, when appropriate.

3.8: What accredited and non accredited courses do you offer for young people with SEND?

All children follow the National Curriculum at a level that is suitable to them.

3.9: How does the school assess the overall effectiveness of its SEN provision and how can parents / carers and young people take part in this evaluation?

The Inclusion Manager, in partnership with the Senior Leadership Team, and class teachers  monitor the progress of children with SEND. The effectiveness of interventions is closely monitored and informs future provision.If involved with your child, external agencies review objectives set and progress made towards these. The opinions of parents, carers and young people (when appropriate) forms part of the discussion identified in 2.2. 

Support for my child's overall well being 4.1: What support is available to promote the emotional and social development of children with SEND?

The school employs trained Nurture Assistants who work with identified children and social and communication groups run according to need. These nurture assistants as well as other support staff run a variety of interventions aimed at supporting emotional and social development.

  • Social skills groups e.g. focus on turn taking
  • Structured Lunch Club
  • 1 to 1 nurture sessions
  • 1 to 1 talk time

The school has a robust PHSE curriculum which promotes the emotional and social development of all children.  The school launched its 'values based education program' during the Autumn term 2016.

4.2: What support does the school put in place for children who find it difficult to conform to normal behavioural expectations and how do you support children to avoid exclusion?

The school has clear expectations of behaviour from all children which are reinforced in lessons and assemblies. Children who find it difficult to conform are supported by an individualised programme of rewards and sanctions. When necessary strategies such as individualised behaviour support plans are created to suport behaviour. At Hawkedon every day is a new day and a new opportunity to succeed. Our school ethos is to accentuate the positive.Here are some examples of potential strategies used at Hawkedon Primary School;

  • Sensory Learning breaks
  • Personal work stations
  • Positive Behaviour Support Plans
  • Support Plans
  • Clear boundaries
  • Small steps targets
  • Reflection time
  • Personalised work programme
  • Structured adult supported lunch club


4.3: What medical support is available in the school for children with SEND?

The school cares for children who need medical support in school by following the advice of health professionals. When appropriate a Health Care Plan is created for staff to follow.

4.4: How does the school manage the administration of medicines?

The school office manages medicines in school in line with the school’s Medicines Policy.

4.5: How does the school provide help with personal care where this is needed, eg. help with toileting, eating etc?

Individual children who require regular support with toileting must have an intimate care plan which is shared and agreed with parents and staff.

Specialist services and expertise available at or accessed by the school 5.1: What SEN support services does the school use, eg. specialist support teachers, educational psychologists, teachers for hearing impairment and visual impairment, ASD advisory teachers, behaviour support teachers etc?

At Hawkedon we use of all the above services for specific children plus:

  • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)
  • Occupational Therapists
  • Physiotherapists
  • Speech and Language Therapists
  • Learning Support Service
  • Behaviour Support Specialists.
5.2: What should I do if I think my child needs support from one of these services?

You should speak to the child’s class teacher in the first instance, who will liaise with the SENCo or Inclusion Manager. They will make a referral if appropriate, in consultation with the class teacher and parents.

5.3: How are speech and language therapy, occupational therapy and physiotherapy services provided?

When a child is given a plan from one of the above agencies the recommended provsion/activities are delivered by school staff.

In specific cases, specialist from external agencies come into school to assess a child needs/progress, they then give advice and recommendations on how to support the specific needs of the child.

5.4: What should I do if I think my child needs to be seen by a speech and language therapist, occupational therapist or physiotherapist?

Speak to the SENCO or Inclusion Manager who can make a referral if appropriate.

Your GP can also make a referral.

If your child is under 5 years old, you can access Speech and Language drop in sessions at local Children’s Centres. Details are available from the Children’s Centre.

5.5: What arrangements does the school have for liaison with Children's Social Care services?

The Head Teacher and Inclusion Manager are the designated officers for Child Protection.

School works in close partnership with Children’s Social Care and can support families to access these services if required.

Safeguarding training for all staff.

Training of school staff in SEND 6.1: What SEND training is provided for teachers in your school?

The school is commited to providing high quality training for staff, particularly in relation to SEND and other vulnerable groups.

The Inclusion Manager, SENCo, teachers and Learning Support Assistants attend specific Continual Professional Development (CPD) sessions when available and cascade information gathered.

6.2: What SEND training is provided for teaching assistants and other staff in your school?

Learning support Assistants are given opportunities to attend relevant courses and training to further develop their skills and understanding of SEND and Additional Needs.

In addition to support from the Inclusion Manager/SENCo, LSAs support each other and share information regarding specific intervention work.

LSA/SENCo meetings are held to discuss interventions/strategies and further training needs/requests are monitored by the Inclusion Manager and discussed at annual LSA appraisal meetings.

6.3: Do teachers have any specific qualifications in SEND?

The Inclusion Manager has successfully completed post graduate training and has been awarded with the National SEN Accreditation and also has a master's degree in Inclusive Education. The SENCo has also been awarded the National SEN Accreditation.

Many of our Teachers/Teaching Assistants have completed vocational qualifications in both Education and SEND related areas.

6.4: Do teaching assistants have any specific qualifications in SEND?

Most LSA's have attended courses on specific areas of SEND e.g. ASD, Dyslexia. Many have considerable years of experience of working with SEND children. Occasionally we have LSAs with specific SEN qualifications working with us in school.

Activities outside the classroom including school trips 7.1: How do you ensure children with SEND can be included in out of school activities and trips?

We aim to include all children in out of school trips and activities. Before any trip or out of school activity a risk assessment is carried out in line with the local authority guidelines and we will discuss any possible issues with parents at the earliest opportunity.

If it is deemed necessary, the adult to child ratio will be adapted.

In exceptional circumstances the school reserves the right to exclude an individual from a trip or out of a school activity. This would be the case where the risk assessment of the child’s individual needs or behaviour would conclude that to include them would present a danger to themselves or others.

7.2: How do you involve parents / carers in planning the support required for their child to access activities and trips?

School staff liaise with parents, when appropriate, to discuss the access arrangements required to enable children with SEND to take part in activities and trips. Advice is also taken from the proposed venue in terms of facilities and accessibility.

Pre-visits, social stories, photo booklets and video clips may also be used to support and prepare children with SEND for trips and visits.

Accessibility of the school environment 8.1: How accessible is the building for children with mobility difficulties / wheelchair users?

The school is built on one level and is accessible to children with mobility difficulties and wheelchair users through the main entrances.

8.2: Have adaptations / improvements been made to the auditory and visual environment?

Adaptations to suit individual needs are made when required and as advised by outside agencies.

8.3: Are there accessible changing and toilet facilities?

There are several disabled toilets which are placed in key locations around the school building.

8.4: How do you ensure that all the school's facilities can be accessed by children with SEND?

The school has been built with accessibility in mind for both children and adults in line with the Disability Equality Policy.

8.5: How does the school communicate with parents / carers who have a disability?

See Section 3 for information regarding information sharing.

The school will aim to communicate in the most effective method for individual parents/carers.

8.6: How does the school communicate with parents / carers whose first language is not English?

See Section 3.

In addition, the school has a number of bi-lingual staff who are able to assist with translation when required.

Preparing my child to join the school or to transfer to a new school or the next stage of education and life 9.1: What preparation will there be for both the school and my child before he or she joins the school?
  • Children with SEND have planned transition visits to school.
  • In Foundation, staff will visit children with SEN in their nursey setting or sometimes arrange home visitis.
  • Consultation meetings and phone conversations with current pre-school for children with significant needs.
  • Meetings with parents/specialist services if involved.
9.2: How will my child be prepared to move on to the next stage within school, e.g. class or key stage?

Additional transition visits to the new classroom or teacher are organised in the Summer Term; occasionally, teachers from the new setting may visit the child in his/her present class/setting.  There is opportunity within school for the receiving teacher to discuss the child’s progress/provision with the current teacher.

Other support might include “Passport to Yr…” photo books; social stories; a letter from the new teacher during the school holidays; an opportunity to visit school during the INSET day on September if appropriate.

9.3: How will my child be prepared to move on to his or her next school?

There are Year 6 Transition Projects in place with all local Secondary Schools.  When appropriate, receiving school colleagues are sometimes invited to review meetings and to meet a particular child in his or her current setting. Year 6 teachers meet with local secondary school colleagues to pass on information about all children . Additional review meetings may be arranged for pupils with more complex needs.

9.4: How will you support a new school to prepare for my child?

At Hawkedon we aim to make a transition to a new school a positive experience for all children. Relevant information is shared between the current and receiving school. If a child has a Statement of Special Education Needs or EHC plan a meeting will be arranged to arrange any specific transition needs.

A Learning Support assistant may accompany a child on transition visits.

9.5: What information will be provided to my child's new school?

In addition to a child’s teacher assessment results - all SEN records e.g. Statements, EHC plans, annual review notes if applicable , intervention records, professional reports, diagnostic assessments if applicable and review meeting notes will be passed on to the next school.

9.6: How will the school prepare my child for the transition to further education or employment?


Who can I contact to discuss my child ? 10.1: Who would be my first point of contact if I want to discuss something about my child or if I am worried?
  • The Class Teacher
  • Inclusion Manager
  • SENCo
  • Senior Leadership Team
10.2: Does the school offer any specific support for parents / carers and families (such as Family Support Workers?)

Hawkedon has a supportive Inclusion Team and a Family Centre.

10.3: What arrangements does the school have for signposting parents / carers to external agencies which can offer support, such as voluntary agencies?

In addition to the above, signposting is available on the school’s website.

Many staff members at Hawkedon, including our Inclusion Manager and SENCo, can signpost parents to appropriate external services and voluntary agencies who can often offer workshops, information, courses and events.

Hawkedon operates as part of a cluster of schools and some workshops and events are offered to parents and carers across the cluster.

10.4: What arrangements does the school have for feedback from parents, including compliments and complaints?

An annual survey is offered to all parents to offer feedback in general terms. The school invites open and constructive dialogue and parents are welcome to speak to us in person or by e-mail via the school office.

Procedures for complaints are outlined within the school’s Complaints Policy which is available on the school website or via the school office.

School Admissions and Policy Documents

11.1: School admission arrangements for children with special educational needs and disabilities

School admission arrangements

School admission arrangements

All children follow Wokingham's admission procedures.

Pupils with a Statement of Special Educational Need or Education, Health and Care Plan can apply through their Local Authority, requesting Hawkedon to be named on their plan and Hawkedon then follows the procedural process for this.

School Admission Link
Wokingham Borough Council - School Admissions

School Admission Link
Hawkedon Primary School

11.2: School Accessibility Plan

11.3: Special Education Needs Policy

SEN Policy Link
School Policies

Last Update

Data last checked:

Is there anything wrong with this page?
Happy face Neutral face Sad face
Skip back to top of page