Skip to main content
Your shortlist 0 What's on

Grazeley Parochial CE (Aided) Primary School

Following guidance from the Government with regard to the coronavirus (COVID-19), before attending an activity, group, drop in, course or event listed on our directory please contact the organisation who is running the service to ensure it is still taking place.


Grazeley is a small, rural, Church of England school situated in the centre of Grazeley village.

Mission Statement

We learn and play together in a caring Christian community where everyone feels safe and valued.

  • We show respect towards ourselves and others recognising everyone’s individuality, culture, faith and values
  • We enjoy learning in a stimulating environment; sharing and celebrating our successes
  • We are encouraged to persevere, be resilient and independent to enable everyone to embrace challenge in an ever-changing world
  • We are encouraged to do our best and learn from our mistakes
  • We are well-prepared for the next stage in our learning journey

Further information and policies can be found on our website.

Grazeley Parochial CE (Aided) Primary School

Who to contact

Contact Name
Miss Celia Thatcher
Contact Position
Head Teacher
0118 988 3340

Where to go

Grazeley Parochial CE (Aided) Primary School
Mereoak Lane

Accessing this service

Type of School
Age Ranges
4 yrs - 11 yrs

Local Offer - Support available for children and young people with additional needs

Local Offer logo
Contact Name
Gemma Didcock
Contact Telephone
0118 988 3340
Contact Email
Local Offer Description

Local Offer last reviewed 16/06/2020

Identification of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
1.1: How does the school identify children/young people with special educational needs and disabilities?
  • Information provided by previous school / setting.
  • Communication between class teacher, Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo), parents and pupil.
  • On-going observations, assessments and monitoring of progress and attainment of all pupils in line with the assessment policy.
  • Observations and assessments carried out by outside professionals.
1.2: What should I do if I think my child has SEND?
Support for children with special educational needs
2.1: If my child is identified as having SEND, who will oversee and plan their education programme?
  • The class teacher and SENCo with support as required from outside professionals will plan the provision.
  • This will be recorded on an individual Provision Map.
2.2: How will I be informed / consulted about the ways in which my child is being supported?
  • Meetings with class teacher and/or SENCo to discuss and review progress.
  • Parents evenings
  • Annual report
  • If the child is at the SEN Support or Education,Health and Care Plan (EHCP) stages, they will have a Provision Map. 
  • Person-centered annual review meetings if the child has an EHCP.
2.3: How will the school balance my child's need for support with developing their independence?

The Provision Map will detail the additional support (provision) your child requires. 

Your child will be encouraged to be independent where possible using resources such as:

  • Visual timetables
  • Visual prompts / checklists
  • Small step approach
  • Small group /individual inputs to pre-teach / recap key learning points as required
  • Practical resources
2.4: How will the school match / differentiate the curriculum for my child's needs?
  • Children’s needs and interests will be taken into account when planning the curriculum
  • The curriculum if needed will be differentiated based on individual need, taking into account teacher assessments and advice from outside professionals when appropriate. This could be delivered 1:1, in a small group or as part of a whole class.
2.5: What teaching strategies does the school use for children with learning difficulties, including autistic spectrum disorder, hearing impairment, visual impairment, speech and language difficulties?

Each child’s needs are looked at individually to determine the best strategies for them.

Advice, support and resources from outside professionals are taken into account.

Strategies could include:

  • Differentiated activities
  • Modification of work if required
  • Visual timetables
  • In-task schedules e.g. first / next
  • Reward systems
  • ICT support e.g. laptops, Ipads, radio aids
  • Learning / sensory breaks
  • Work station / careful seating in class
  • Access to a safe space
  • Small steps with specific achievable objectives
  • Multisensory approach to activities
  • Additional/alternative resources provided to support individual needs
2.6: What additional staffing does the school provide from its own budget for children with SEND?
  • Additional staff to support pupils at break and lunch times as required.
  • Nurture assistant to provide emotional wellbeing support.
  • Additional staff to support specific interventions either group or 1:1.
2.7: What specific intervention programmes does the school offer to children with SEND and are these delivered on a one to one basis or in small groups?
Type / TitleIntervention Type
Every Child Counts Maths Small group
Reading intervention One to one
RWI phonics intervention One to one
Precision Teaching One to one
Toe by Toe One to one
Creative writing Small group
SALT groups e.g. attention and listening / memory Small group
SALT programmes One to one
Homework Club Small group
Daily Sensory Circuits Small group
Nurture support One to one
Nurture support Small group
2.8: What resources and equipment does the school provide for children with SEND?
  • Pencils/pencil grips/adapted scissors
  • Sloping desks
  • Coloured paper and books
  • Coloured overlays / reading rulers
  • Talking tins
  • Technology
  • Fiddle toys /chewy toys
  • Weighted objects
  • Move n' sit cushions
  • Ear defenders
  • Theraputty
  • OT resources e.g. large balls, balancing and climbing equipment, scooter boards, mini trampolines etc.
  • Access to safe spaces
2.9: What special arrangements can be made for my child when taking examinations?

This will depend upon the identified needs of the child and in line with Department for Education (DfE) specifications but may include:

  • Additional time
  • Scribe / transcribe
  • Reader
  • Quiet area
  • Rest breaks / prompt
  • Withdrawal (if considered appropriate)

In some cases the use of special arrangements will require additional application to the standards and testing agency, where this is the case we will discuss with parents

My child's progress
3.1: How will the school monitor my child's progress and how will I be involved in this?
  • Ongoing teacher assessment
  • Standardised tests when required that give standardised scores and comparative ages
  • Termly pupil progress meetings (school staff only)
  • Parents evenings
  • Additional review meetings where necessary with class teacher, SENCo and outside professionals
3.2: When my child's progress is being reviewed, how will new targets be set and how will I be involved?
  • Provison Maps are reviewed and updated. 
  • Parents evenings
  • Additional review meetings where necessary with class teacher, SENCo and outside professionals.
3.3: ln addition to the school's normal reporting arrangements, what opportunities will there be for me to discuss my child's progress with school staff?
  • Parents are involved through meetings and informal discussions with the class teacher and SENCo, the frequency of these are dependent on the needs of the child.
  • Parents are always welcome to make contact though.
  • Person-centered annual reviews for children with an EHCP.
3.4: What arrangements does the school have for regular home to school contact?
  • Teachers / SENCo are always happy to arrange a meeting to discuss concerns regarding a child.
  • Home/school communication books are used if appropriate.
  • Regular phone calls/emails when required.
  • General information is available on the school website / Learning Platform.
3.5: How can I help support my child's learning?
  • Ensure children come to school ready to learn – well rested, on time, with appropriate equipment.
  • Signing and supporting the home/school agreement at the beginning of the year.
  • Read regularly with your child.
  • Provide support with home learning.
  • Not taking holiday during term time.
  • Regular communication with the school about issues that may arise.
  • Reading, responding and adding to home/school communication book if appropriate.
  • Work together with school to support agreed interventions.
3.6: Does the school offer any help for parents / carers to enable them to support their child's learning, eg. training or learning events?
  • The school provides sessions throughout the year for specific year groups or areas of learning where ways to support your child are given.
  • The school can make referrals to enable parents to access parenting courses through WBC.
  • Further advice and information can be sought from the SENCo, Family Support Worker or Headteacher.
3.7: How will my child's views be sought about the help they are getting and the progress they are making?
  • Discussions with the child.
  • Attendance at meetings if appropriate.
  • Person-centered annual review form for those children with an Education, Health and Care Plan.
3.8: What accredited and non accredited courses do you offer for young people with SEND?


3.9: How does the school assess the overall effectiveness of its SEN provision and how can parents / carers and young people take part in this evaluation?
  • Regular monitoring of progress through teacher assessment.
  • Monitoring the impact of interventions.
  • Review of provision maps.
  • Governor monitoring each term.
  • Person-centered annual reviews.
  • Liaison with outside professionals.
  • Next steps and outcomes for the children set and reviewed.
  • Discussions with parents and children.
Support for my child's overall well being
4.1: What support is available to promote the emotional and social development of children with SEND?
  • Nurture assistant offering 1:1 or group sessions.
  • Additional adult support during unstructured times when appropriate.
  • Access to a quiet space (nurture room).
  • Advice and support from outside professionals if required.
  • The school can make referrals to the AnDY clinic and CAMHS if necessary. 
4.2: What support does the school put in place for children who find it difficult to conform to normal behavioural expectations and how do you support children to avoid exclusion?
  • Clear and consistent whole school behaviour management system.
  • Whole school rewards and consequences.
  • Individual Behaviour Plans (where necessary).
  • Pastoral Support Plans (for children at risk of exclusion).
  • Visual timetables
  • Home/school communication book.
  • Social stories
  • Learning breaks
  • Quiet areas inside and out can be created.
  • Liaison with parents
  • Individual support as necessary (both in class and during unstructured times).
  • Outside professionals support either through consultation meetings or direct work.
4.3: What medical support is available in the school for children with SEND?
  • Trained first aiders.
  • Epipen / Asthma training for all staff.
  • Liaison with the school nurse and other health care professionals for children with medical needs.
  • Where appropriate to do so staff will take on specific training to support a child's medical needs.
  • Opportunities to write Individual Health Plans alongside medical professionals as required.
4.4: How does the school manage the administration of medicines?
  • Forms are completed by parents to allow prescribed medicines to be given during the school day by staff. The Head teacher will approve the form / medicine before it can be administred.
  • Trained first aiders.
  • See Health & Safety Policy and Medical Needs policy for further info.
4.5: How does the school provide help with personal care where this is needed, eg. help with toileting, eating etc?
  • Access to the disabled toilet.
  • 1:1 support with eating / toileting if required.
  • Personal hygiene boxes stored sensitively for pupils who have toileting issues.
  • Liaison with parents / professionals about the best way to support the pupil's needs in school.
  • Specific equipment purchased on the advice of outside professionals e.g. cutlery, toilet step etc.
Specialist services and expertise available at or accessed by the school
5.1: What SEN support services does the school use, eg. specialist support teachers, educational psychologists, teachers for hearing impairment and visual impairment, ASD advisory teachers, behaviour support teachers etc?
  • Educational Psychologists
  • Learning Support Service
  • Foundry College (Behaviour Support)
  • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHs)
  • Speech and Language Therapist
  • Occupational Therapists / Physiotherapists
  • ASSIST (ASD support)
  • Sensory Consortium Service (HI / VI)
  • Family Support Worker
  • SENDIASS (parent support)
5.2: What should I do if I think my child needs support from one of these services?

Speak to the SENCo who will advise next steps and make referrals as necessary.

5.3: How are speech and language therapy, occupational therapy and physiotherapy services provided?
  • Speech and Language - the school has a named therapist who visits at least termly to meet with the SENCo / discuss and assess children.
  • OT  / Physio - therapists may visit school to observe children and to discuss programs / modifications with staff.
  • OT - parents should be referred to Dingley OT via their GP. If a pupil has an EHCP they can be referred by school to CYPIT.
  • School staff are either sent on training or receive training from the therapists to deliever the program.
5.4: What should I do if I think my child needs to be seen by a speech and language therapist, occupational therapist or physiotherapist?
  • Speak to the SENCo who will advise next steps and make referrals as necessary.
5.5: What arrangements does the school have for liaison with Children's Social Care services?

School has access to Children’s Social Care when required.

The Headteacher is the designated officer for safeguarding concerns.

Training of school staff in SEND
6.1: What SEND training is provided for teachers in your school?
  • Training is provided dependent on current need either in-house or with support from outside professionals.
  • When staff attend training, they are encouraged to share useful information with other staff when they return.
  • Learning walks and performance management highlight any additional training required.
6.2: What SEND training is provided for teaching assistants and other staff in your school?

As above

6.3: Do teachers have any specific qualifications in SEND?
  • Some staff have specific expertise or qualifications in SEND but all have some experience in dealing with a range of SEND pupils.
  • Courses and training to further develop knowledge and understanding in areas of SEND are available and key staff are identified.
6.4: Do teaching assistants have any specific qualifications in SEND?

 As above

Activities outside the classroom including school trips
7.1: How do you ensure children with SEND can be included in out of school activities and trips?

All children are included in out of school activities and trips; following risk assessments carried out in line with the Local Authority guidelines.

Adaptions may be made e.g. 1:1 support may be provided depending on the level of need, parents may also be asked to support.

7.2: How do you involve parents / carers in planning the support required for their child to access activities and trips?
  • Parents may be consulted during the planning.
  • Advice will be taken from the venue regarding facilities and accessibility.
  • Preparation activities may be completed to prepare children.
Accessibility of the school environment
8.1: How accessible is the building for children with mobility difficulties / wheelchair users?
  • Ramp access to side of building
  • Disabled toilet
  • The main part of the school is on one level, however the new part of the building is raised with steps leading outside. Therefore, an evac chair is available in an emergency.
  • See Disability Access Plan for further information.
8.2: Have adaptations / improvements been made to the auditory and visual environment?

Advice from outside professionals would be considered regarding adaptations for each child as required.

8.3: Are there accessible changing and toilet facilities?

Disabled toilet is available to anyone who requires it.

8.4: How do you ensure that all the school's facilities can be accessed by children with SEND?

Any needs will be assessed on an individual basis and adaptations made as necessary.

We aim to make contact promptly with new parents so that appropriate provision can be explored prior to starting school.


8.5: How does the school communicate with parents / carers who have a disability?

As previously stated.

In addition, where disabilities are known the school will aim to communicate in the most effective method for individual parents / carers.

8.6: How does the school communicate with parents / carers whose first language is not English?
  • Translator services could be requested if necessary.
  • Newsletters etc. can be sent using Google Translate.
Preparing my child to join the school or to transfer to a new school or the next stage of education and life
9.1: What preparation will there be for both the school and my child before he or she joins the school?
  • School visits
  • Parent information session
  • Liaison with and visits to pre-school / previous setting or home visits if pre-school not attended.
  • Additional transition arrangements for vulnerable children e.g. photo book, additional visits, meetings with outside professionals involved etc.
  • SENCo to attend any relevant meetings e.g. Person-centered Annual Reviews etc.
9.2: How will my child be prepared to move on to the next stage within school, e.g. class or key stage?
  • Class visits
  • Opportunities to familiarise themselves with new staff and environment.
  • Sharing of information between present and future staff.
  • Additional transition arrangements for vulnerable children e.g. photo books, additional visits, meetings with outside professionals, INSET day visit etc.
9.3: How will my child be prepared to move on to his or her next school?
  • As above
  • Year 6 children are involved in discussion/activities to prepare them for leaving Grazeley and moving onto Secondary school.
  • The SENCo will liaise with the Secondary schools to ensure any additional arrangements are co-ordinated if required.
9.4: How will you support a new school to prepare for my child?

Arrangements are made according to need, and may include any of the above, as well as:

  • New setting staff to visit child at Grazeley.
  • TA may accompany child to visit new school.
  • Sharing of strategies and interventions used.
  • New setting staff invited to attend review meetings, Person-centered Annual Reviews etc.
9.5: What information will be provided to my child's new school?

SEND records e.g. Provision Maps, EHCP, person-centered reviews where appropriate, intervention records, diagnostic assessments, professional reports, review meeting notes, safeguarding records etc.

9.6: How will the school prepare my child for the transition to further education or employment?


Who can I contact to discuss my child ?
10.1: Who would be my first point of contact if I want to discuss something about my child or if I am worried?
  • Class Teacher
  • SENCo
  • Headteacher
10.2: Does the school offer any specific support for parents / carers and families (such as Family Support Workers?)

The school has a Family Support Worker who is available to work with parents as required.

10.3: What arrangements does the school have for signposting parents / carers to external agencies which can offer support, such as voluntary agencies?
  • Newsletters
  • Family Support Worker, SENCo or Headteacher may provide targeted information for specific parents.
  • Every effort will be made to support parents as needs arise.
10.4: What arrangements does the school have for feedback from parents, including compliments and complaints?
  • Feedback through questionnaires, parents evenings, informal discussions with school staff and governors.
  • Parent Forum
  • Complaints should be taken to the SENCo, Headteacher or Governors at


School Admissions and Policy Documents

11.1: School admission arrangements for children with special educational needs and disabilities

11.2: School Accessibility Plan

11.3: Special Education Needs Policy

Data last checked: 04/05/2020
Is there anything wrong with this page?

Wokingham Services Directory Disclaimer

The Service Directory includes information and links to third party internet websites which are controlled and maintained by others, information is provided solely for guidance and does not constitute any endorsement. Wokingham Borough Council is not responsible for the accuracy of the information on the directories and information is not provided as a recommendation of suitability or quality of service.