What is Early Years Pupil Premium?
Early Years Pupil Premium (EYPP) is additional government funding available to childcare providers registered to deliver the free entitlement for 3 and 4 year olds. You will need to meet certain criteria for your child to be eligible. The EYPP will be used to support your child’s development by providing additional learning opportunities.
Is my child eligible?
In order to be eligible for EYPP your child must be receiving the free entitlement for 3 and 4 year olds at a childcare provider and you must be in receipt of one of the following:
- Income support
- Income-based jobseeker’s allowance
- Income-related employment and support allowance
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (providing you are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and you have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on, which is paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit
Your child will also be eligible if they have:
- Been looked after by the Local Authority for 1 day or more
- Been adopted from care
- Left care under a special guardianship or residence order
How do I apply?
Your childcare provider will give you a short application form to complete. The information you provide will be sent to Wokingham Borough Council. If you are eligible the additional funding will be sent to the childcare provider directly.
How can the EYPP be used?
The additional funding the childcare provider receives should be spent on enhancing learning opportunities for your child. There are many ways this funding can be used, for example it could be used to pay for trips, visits or an extra member of staff. The childcare provider decides how the funding is spent however they must share with you the benefit of the EYPP on your child’s development. The funding cannot be used to reduce any bill you pay the provider for additional services.
Who will make sure my child is benefiting from this funding?
Your childcare provider must be able to share with you how your child is benefiting from the additional funding. Ofsted will ask the childcare provider for evidence on how funding has made a difference to all the children who have received it. Wokingham Borough Council will also visit your provider to support the delivery of the EYPP.
Where can I find out more information?
If you would like to find out more please contact your childcare provider.
You can also contact the Early Years Childcare and Play Team on:
Tel: 0118 908 8260