What is non-residential charging?

Update: UK Government adult social care charging reform

Wokingham Borough Council is aware of the government changes to adult social care (ASC) that are due to come into effect in October 2025. For information on what we know so far please visit our changes to ASC finance charging from October 2025 web page.

For further information about the adult social care reforms visit the UK Government website.

How we charge for care

We use government guidance to calculate how we charge for care.

Non-residential services include most services provided to an adult who lives in their own home. For example, a homecare service provided by an agency or attendance at a day centre. From April 2015 it also includes respite and short break services.

How do you know my financial position

Once you have had a discussion about your needs and eligibility your Care Assessor, where relevant, will refer you for financial assessment. We will ask you, or your financial representative to complete a ‘financial assessment form’ to provide us with full details of your financial position including your income and capital.

What happens if I refuse a financial assessment?

You do not have to give us information about your financial circumstances. However, if we are unable to assess your financial position, then you will be asked to pay the full cost towards your services. 

If you refuse a financial assessment but later change your mind, please contact the Financial Assessment Team on 0118 974 6000 (followed by option 6) straight away so that we can arrange a full financial assessment.

How do you work out what you will charge me?

You will need to provide us with full details of your financial position. We will consider your capital, for example savings and shares, as well as your weekly income from benefits and any other sources. Allowances are made for some benefits and certain household expenses. Once we have this information we will calculate your maximum weekly charge.

In addition, if you receive certain disability related benefits, we will take into account expenses relating to your disability. We will automatically reduce the maximum charge by £40 each week if you receive one of the following benefits:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance (care component)
  • Severe Disability Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment (daily living component)

If you believe that expenses relating to your disability are more than £40, then we will look at this with you in more detail.

What about my savings and investments?

If your savings and investments are less than £14,250, they will not affect our calculations of your contribution.

If your savings and investments are more than £23,250, then you will automatically be charged the full cost of the service. In these instances we will not need to go through a full financial assessment with you, but we can still help you to apply for any relevant benefits.

Normally only savings in your name are counted. If you have a joint account with your partner, then only half of the balance is taken into account.

Examples of what is counted as savings, capital and investments include cash, money held in banks, building societies or post office accounts, premium bonds, national savings certificates, ISAs and stocks and shares.

Do you need my partner's financial information?

If your partner receives benefits for you as a couple, such as Income Support or Pension Credit, you need to tell us about these.

Otherwise, you do not have to provide your partner’s financial details. However, in some cases your charge may be lower if you give us their information. It can also help us to complete a full benefit check for both of you.

Once calculated, will my charge always be the same?

No, each year we will review your charge and recalculate your contribution.

What if my financial circumstances change?

If you move home or your financial circumstances change (for example, if you start getting welfare benefits, qualify for council discounts, or your investments and savings increase or decrease) you must let us know straight away as this may affect your charge. Contact the Financial Assessment Team to arrange a reassessment. If you are unsure what changes to tell us about please contact us for advice.

What if I disagree with the charge?

First of all, contact the financial assessment officer who has calculated your contribution and explain why you think the charge is wrong. Contact details will be included in the letter you receive following the financial assessment. 

If you are still not satisfied, you can contact the financial assessment team senior officer to review the financial assessment. 

If after contacting the financial assessment team senior officer you remain unhappy, please follow our corporate complaints process

How do I pay if my assessment shows I need to contribute?

Once the financial assessment officer has worked out your contribution to the cost of your services, we will give you a written statement of the amount we expect you to pay. We will include the name and phone number of your financial assessment officer in case you have any questions about the charge. 

If you need to pay towards the cost of your services you will be sent an invoice approximately every 4 weeks, in arrears. You can pay in a number of different ways, including by direct debit, cash, cheque, over the phone or on the internet. Full details of how to pay are set out on the back of the invoice.

I'm still unclear, is there anyone else I can contact?

For information about independent financial advice and care planning please read our independent financial advice guidance page

Please contact the financial assessment team with any questions you have.

Useful contact details for Wokingham Borough Council 

Adult Social Care Team – assessing and setting up care 

Email: ASCMailboxAssessmentTeam@wokingham.gov.uk
Tel: 0300 365 1234

Financial Assessment Team – calculating contributions 
Email: FinancialAssessmentTeam-Mailbox@wokingham.gov.uk 
Tel: 0118 974 6000 - select option 6 and ask for the Financial Assessment Team

Payment Team - raising bills and bill queries
Email: ASCMailboxFinance@wokingham.gov.uk 
Tel: 0118 974 6000 - select option 6 and ask for the Payment Team

Accounts Receivable – direct debit and payment arrangements 
Email: AccountsReceivable@wokingham.gov.uk 
Tel: 0118 974 6000

Contact details of other organisations are available in our local directory


  1. Non-residential charging for adults leaflet (PDF)

External Links

  1. Paying for care and support


Page last reviewed: 13/10/2023

Is there anything wrong with this page?
Happy face Neutral face Sad face
Skip back to top of page