We would strongly advise that before you use any of the services listed on this directory, you carry out your own checks to ensure the organisation/group is suitable. The list below details a range of checks, however this list is not exhaustive:
- Are they accredited or registered with any professional body? (such as the CQC - Care Quality Commission, Ofsted etc)
- Find out if the charity is registered with the charity commission.
- Do they need to be registered with the health and care professions council register?
- Do they have any published service standards?
- Do they have a safeguarding policy and procedures for protecting children and vulnerable adults?
- What checks are done on staff and volunteers? (References taken up, Disclosure Barring Service check (formally Criminal Record Bureau Checks)
- Do staff and volunteers have related qualifications? Are the certificates available for you to see?
- What provision is made for first aid and does the organisation have public liability insurance?
- If you have to pay for something, what does the cost cover? Plus if the service requires the signing of a contract, the contract should include what you and the service expect of each other. Before you sign the contract, ensure you understand everything. If in doubt, contact the Citizen's Advice Service.
- Read the Citizen's Advice Service 'before you get building work done' information web page on steps to take before before employing a trade persons to do work for you.
- Is the service going to be disposing of your waste? Check it is registered to do this by searching the waste carriers register on the Environmental Agency website
- Are the premises accessible?
- Can you speak with someone who has already used the service?
- Contact the organisation/group to check dates and times of sessions have not changed since they updated their directory listing.
- Is there an easily accessible complaints procedure?
The inclusion of any company / society / group / person’s within the directory should not be used as a recommendation of that company / society / group / person’s name products and / or services. Read the council's full disclaimer.
Is there anything wrong with this page?