Checks to make before using services
We would strongly advise that before you use any of the services listed on this directory, you carry out your own checks to ensure the organisation/group is suitable. The list below details a range of checks, however this list is not exhaustive:
- Are they accredited or registered with any professional body? (such as the CQC - Care Quality Commission, Ofsted etc)
- Find out if the charity is registered with the charity commission.
- Do they need to be registered with the health and care professions council register?
- Do they have any published service standards?
- Do they have a safeguarding policy and procedures for protecting children and vulnerable adults?
- What checks are done on staff and volunteers? (References taken up, Disclosure Barring Service check (formally Criminal Record Bureau Checks)
- Do staff and volunteers have related qualifications? Are the certificates available for you to see?
- What provision is made for first aid and does the organisation have public liability insurance?
- If you have to pay for something, what does the cost cover? Plus if the service requires the signing of a contract, the contract should include what you and the service expect of each other. Before you sign the contract, ensure you understand everything. If in doubt, contact the Citizen's Advice Service.
- Read the Citizen's Advice Service 'before you get building work done' information web page on steps to take before before employing a trade persons to do work for you.
- Is the service going to be disposing of your waste? Check it is registered to do this by searching the waste carriers register on the Environmental Agency website
- Are the premises accessible?
- Can you speak with someone who has already used the service?
- Contact the organisation/group to check dates and times of sessions have not changed since they updated their directory listing.
- Is there an easily accessible complaints procedure?
The inclusion of any company / society / group / person’s within the directory should not be used as a recommendation of that company / society / group / person’s name products and / or services. Read the council's full disclaimer.