Skip to main content
Your shortlist 0 What's on

Getting help to adapt your home - Disabled Facilities Grant

If you need to adapt your home to help you to be able to stay in it, you may be able to get financial help by applying for a disabled facilities grant. We will take into account your household income and savings, and you may need to pay towards the cost of the work.

A grant is paid when we consider that changes are necessary to meet your needs, and that the work is reasonable and practical.

    What can I use the grant for?

A grant can be used for adaptations to give you better freedom of movement into and around your home and. It can also be used to provide essential equipment and make changes to the inside of your home.

Acceptable work

  • Widening doors and installing ramps
  • Providing or improving access to rooms. For example installing a stair lift or downstairs bathroom 
  • Improving or providing a heating system which is suitable for your needs
  • Adapting heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use
  • Improving access to your home
  • Make it easier to move around your home to enable you to care for another person living in the property

Deciding what work you need

An occupational therapist will look at your circumstances and can recommend the type of adaptations you need.

    Financial help

Means testing

  • Takes into account savings above £6,000
  • doesn't take into account certain benefits, such as disability living allowance and income Support
  • Assesses your combined income if you have a partner
  • Includes capital in the assessment - this could be savings and the value of you home if own it 

We only take into account costs that you have to pay, such as your rent, mortgage or utility bills. We don't take into account other costs and outgoings.

Depending on the outcome of this assessment the amount of financial help offered can vary from none to all of the cost.

Maximum grant available

The maximum amount of grant that we are required to pay is £30,000.

This amount is per application, minus any contribution from you. If the cost of the eligible works is more than this £30,000, we can use our discretion to increase the amount.

    Disabled children

Disabled children under 18 can get a grant without their parents’ income being taken into account

    How do I apply?

Before you can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant, we'll need to talk to you to explain what is involved, and ask you some questions to check that you are eligible for it.

An occupational therapist must recommend any adaptations that you may need, and will need to visit you to carry out an assessment:

Is there anything wrong with this page?

Wokingham Services Directory Disclaimer

The Service Directory includes information and links to third party internet websites which are controlled and maintained by others, information is provided solely for guidance and does not constitute any endorsement. Wokingham Borough Council is not responsible for the accuracy of the information on the directories and information is not provided as a recommendation of suitability or quality of service.